Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/10/02 07:18:35 UTC

ECM/Fortress semantic question

Thinking about management of ECM/Fortress semantics ...

In an excalibur logger test case there is the following code fragment:

   tc = (TestComponent)lookup( TestComponent.ROLE + "/A" );
   tc.test( getLogEnabledLogger(), "Test log entry A" );

The class in question extends the excalibur component testcase which is
applying ECM semantics on service lookup.  In this example the string
'TestComponent.ROLE + "/A"' maps to a "role" name which in turn maps to
a named component.

If I ignore the mapping - is it save to assume that any "string" passed
to an ECM/Fortress service or component manager (with the exception of
<something>/Selector ) can be be mapped directly to a declaration of
@avalon.dependency key=<value> where <value> is the result of the
TestComponent.ROLE + "/A" construction?

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: ECM/Fortress semantic question

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Thinking about management of ECM/Fortress semantics ...
>
> In an excalibur logger test case there is the following code fragment:
>
>   tc = (TestComponent)lookup( TestComponent.ROLE + "/A" );
>   tc.test( getLogEnabledLogger(), "Test log entry A" );
>
> The class in question extends the excalibur component testcase which is
> applying ECM semantics on service lookup.  In this example the string
> 'TestComponent.ROLE + "/A"' maps to a "role" name which in turn maps to
> a named component.

Actually that is Fortress semantics, but anyway I digress....

> If I ignore the mapping - is it save to assume that any "string" passed
> to an ECM/Fortress service or component manager (with the exception of
> <something>/Selector ) can be be mapped directly to a declaration of
> @avalon.dependency key=<value> where <value> is the result of the
> TestComponent.ROLE + "/A" construction?

Yes.  (The selector variation is <something>Selector, note the lack of the
separating "/").

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin