Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Maceira, Joseph" <jm...@spherix.com> on 2002/03/01 15:20:55 UTC

Seeks wisdom

To all you Apache Super Ninjas...

My company is on the verge of an epiphany...  They are realizing that
Micro$oft cannot fulfill their web needs.  So I'm planning a revolution with
Linux/Apache.  Our web team doesn't know much about any *nix, let alone
Apache web server.  My question is, where can I find information on setting
up a high capacity website with Apache.  I've found very little with my
trusty old google.  I did discover that the version of Apache that comes
with RedHat 7.2 is limited to 256 concurrent connections.  I need it to
handle 1000+ connections.

Now, if they would do something besides Cold Fusion...

Thanks in advance.

RE: Seeks wisdom

Posted by Daniel Giovannoni <te...@ct5.com>.
LVS seems to be my solution. We have about a 120 websites strewn across
3 machines. No where near your 1000+ concurrent, but I think we hit
about 5 or 600 in times of traffic.

http://www.linux-vs.org/

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/piranha/index.html

Actually someone on this mailing list suggested it, I was about to go to
Mosix with mod_backhand... The only disadvantage is the possibility of
the load balancer becoming a bottleneck. But, there are ways to fix that
too...

Dan