Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Palleti, Pallavi" <pa...@corp.aol.com> on 2009/06/16 08:16:47 UTC

Restricting quota for users in HDFS

Hi all,

We have chown command in hadoop dfs to make a particular directory own
by a person. Do we have something similar to create user with some space
limit/restrict the disk usage by a particular user?

Thanks

Pallavi

RE: Restricting quota for users in HDFS

Posted by "Palleti, Pallavi" <pa...@corp.aol.com>.
Yeah. I meant the same. I want to restrict a directory which is owned by
a particular user.

Thanks
Pallavi

> We have chown command in hadoop dfs to make a particular directory own
> by a person. Do we have something similar to create user with some
space
> limit/restrict the disk usage by a particular user?

    Quotas are implemented on a per-directory basis, not per-user.
There
is no support for "this user can have X space, regardless of where
he/she
writes" only "this directory has a limit of X space, regardless of who
writes there."

Re: Restricting quota for users in HDFS

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@yahoo-inc.com>.