Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/05/06 14:57:34 UTC

Parser in other languages

On 06/05/2010 13:46, Scott Wilson wrote:

> I was thinking it might be good to port the W3C Widget parser library to some other languages, too - anyone interested?

Why? What does that bring to the project?

I'm not saying people shouldn't do it if they want to, I'm just
wondering if it is something I should be pushing in community
development work.

Ross

--
TransferSummit/UK - Open Innovation, Development, Collaboration
Oxford 24-25 June 2010 - Register now! http://www.transfersummit.com

Re: Parser in other languages

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 6 May 2010, at 13:57, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 06/05/2010 13:46, Scott Wilson wrote:
>
>> I was thinking it might be good to port the W3C Widget parser library to some other languages, too - anyone interested?
>
> Why? What does that bring to the project?
>
> I'm not saying people shouldn't do it if they want to, I'm just wondering if it is something I should be pushing in community development work.

I was wondering if the potential user base for the parser library could be wider than that for the full server application, especially if it was available for different languages/platforms. However, there may not be much demand until more people become aware of the spec, so perhaps the timing isn't right to do porting yet.

Another thing I was wondering was that, as the parser lib doesn't have any GPL dependencies, could it be released on its own?