Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/02 21:27:06 UTC

Geronimo Web site structure update

Hi All,
when we updated the web site we mainly focused on the look & feel but left the existing navigational
structure pretty much untouched.

I propose we update some of the structure starting with the documentation section. Currently there
are two links pointing to the same resource, these are *Documentation* and *Library*. Today we have
an official documentation for v1.0 and we are working on the doc for v1.1, in addition there is the
"Developers Guide" also being developed.

All these are the documentation that should be pointed from the "Documentation" link. What is
currently pointed from both "Documentation" and "Library" links should be just pointed from
"Library". We will also need to update the Geronimo Administration Console to reflect this changes
as the documentation is pointed as the "Additional documentation" link.

The documentation today is hosted on an external site (Atlassian) but we are working with the ASF
infrastructure team to get a local high performance installation (cwiki.apache.org). Until we
resolve the ASF local installation I think we could point directly to the remote articles from our
site. This might be easier to explain by an example so I put together a copy of the Geronimo web
site with the proposed changes, see "Library" and "Documentation" links (note that the rest of the
site may not be entirely up-to-date)

Here is the test URL:

http://people.apache.org/~hcunico/site/

I think these proposed changes will facilitate access to the documentation, increase it's visibility
and hopefully we will see more volunteers to continue developing the docs.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions!?

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Geronimo Web site structure update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Done,
You'll see the change in the next update.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Can we use this URL for JIRA:

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 5/3/06, Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will go ahead an implement this changes (including the proposal for the documentation), will need
> the XBean and GBuild info from you before though :)

It's great to see more participation in the documentation.  However,
please revise the proposal as I've asked before applying it.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On May 3, 2006, at 2:55 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Great, if you can provide with some content for XBean and GBuild I
> will create the respective directories and reorg accordingly.
>
> devtools.html is currently at root level so I will move it to the
> existing devtools directory and rename it as index.html.
>
> I will go ahead an implement this changes (including the proposal
> for the documentation), will need the XBean and GBuild info from
> you before though :)

For GBuild if you can add content from these three pages that'd be
good enough for now:

index.html -- http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/
GBuild/Home
overview.html -- http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/
display/GBuild/GBuild+Agent+Overview
hosts.html -- http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/
GBuild/Hosts

For XBean this would be good enough to get kicked off:

index.html -- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/XB/Home
custom-xml.html -- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/XB/Custom+XML
editing-xml.html -- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/XB/Editing+Custom
+XML
ant-task.html -- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/XB/http://
www.xbean.org/XBean+Ant+Task

Hey Guillaume, you willing to help out with content for the XBean
side of things?  Maybe add a download page and some info on the 2.3
release as soon as it's out.

-David

Re: Geronimo Web site structure update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On May 2, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> I would like to emphasize that I am not proposing to remove any of
> the current content but rather to add more content.  I think it
> would be more organized to have online books, printed books,
> interviews, etc. listed under "Library" and the documentation
> listed under "Documentation".

It's all documentation to me and I think it should all be listed
together.

-dain

Re: Geronimo Web site structure update

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
No, I wasn't suggesting that updating the Wiki hoses up the copyright.  You have a much better
understanding of copyrights and ownership than I do; you've written a book and I can barely read.
What I was referring to was my perceived distinction between project documentation and supporting
documentation.  I saw project documentation of the sort that many other projects have where they
document their project and you get access to the documentation on the ASF infrastructure.  The
library documentation I saw as a collection of pointers to documentation that was housed elsewhere
and not "owned" by the project.

It wasn't my intent to make any finer distinction than that.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 5/3/06, Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Most of the documentation was uploaded into a JIRA and granted ASF
>> license long time ago. I say most
>> because the last updates have not been yet uploaded. Once we have
>> cwiki.apache.org in production the
>> license should no longer be an issue.
>
> Are you saying that people can't just edit the Wiki without hosing up
> the documentation license?  I guess there's not anywhere in the Wiki
> edit process that prompts you to grant copyright to the ASF.

Copyright is never granted to the ASF.  The ASF only asserts a
"collective copyright" on the pile of things in a distribution (of
whatever sort) that in fact have copyright distributed throughout the
set of contributors.

>  Does
> this mean we need Jira issues submitted with all documentation changes
> so that we can get the license check ticked?

Well, that would be one way if we had a doco system like that. :)

But since we're using the wiki, I think the simplest thing is to have a
clear "terms of contribution" somewhere on the wiki, and maybe a link to
it at the bottom of each page.

Here is some suggested wording :

"This wiki has been created for public contribution of material about
projects of The Apache Software Foundation (the "Foundation"), a
Delaware nonprofit corporation classified as a public charity under
501(c)(3). All contributions intentionally submitted to the Foundation
on this wiki is considered a Contribution to the Foundation unless
otherwise noted in the contribution. The terms and conditions that apply
to your Contributions are defined by either a contributor license
agreement (CLA) signed by you and/or your employer or, if no such CLA is
on file at the Foundation, by the terms and conditions of Contributions
as defined by the Apache License, Version 2.0."

My 0.02

geir

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.