Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/29 17:24:23 UTC

3.5.0 Announcement Volunteers

3.5.0 is a fairly big release. There's too much in there to summarize in a
single announcement email. I was thinking that we might produce multiple
tweets/posts to follow the main announcement that would call attention to
important changes. I think that each announcement should hopefully do a bit
more than re-hash the upgrade documentation - hopefully each announcement
can either expand on a batch of changes or focus in on a single item from
the upgrade docs.

We'd look to start sending these out immediately after our general release
announcement which should occur Monday, May 10. I'd like to try to have a
schedule of these posts ready by the middle of next week and I'd think
drafts in review by next Friday, May 7.  If you have a 3.5.0 feature that
you'd like to author/collaborate on and have a bit of time in your schedule
to work on this, then please reply to this thread and we can get organized.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: 3.5.0 Announcement Volunteers

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Do it Josh. Do what you say you will. For once.

Crazy talk? It’s honesty. And the lack of it in this project is what is driving it to malaise. Stephen, when you were in meetings with Apache Board about me, did you tell them about you? Bohahaha! ….  $1000 says you didn’t. Eeek — hide, run, hide. When people stop being honest and start chatting with me offline in a completely different tone than online with a “bro, you know I have a family”-style, this is when you are sacrificing the project for your other objectives. This is when you are just trying to make things look good for your employers, reputation, ’the board’ …. Be honest with yourself and everyone. That is where the creative spark lies.

So, I ask you:

	1. OLAP bulk write.
	2. gremlin-spark/ DataFrames.
	3. All traversal parameters determined dynamically by traversals.

Do you still uphold that this is not “enterprise” or “innovation is not needed”?  Or are you going to say what you know is true: “Yes, these are great features! Damn, I wish we had this.” And next, you know my terms. How would you accomplish this? I’m glad you asked.

	1. Tell ’The Board’ what ’social norms’ you have violated.
	2. Tell them to kick you off the PMC because arguably, they are way worse than me telling jokes online.
	3. Watch them squirm as their ‘moral code’ implodes.
	4. Then we start doing some real work on TinkerPop.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy,
Marko.

Posted by Joshua Shinavier <jo...@fortytwo.net>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Shinavier <jo...@fortytwo.net>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
Updated the list:

* UnifiedChannelizer - Stephen
* gremlin-language - Josh
* Gremlin.Net - Florian
* gremlin-python - Kelvin
* Gremlint - Øyvind
* Changes in null semantics - Dave

I think we should just draft these in google docs and just share access as
needed.

Posted by David Bechberger <da...@bechberger.com>.

Posted by Øyvind Sæbø <oy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hello mein freunden,

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kelvin Lawrence <gf...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I am happy to help. The area I have been closest too is probably the enhancements to the Python client. I could write something around those features.

Cheers, Kelvin

> On Apr 30, 2021, at 04:30, fh@florian-hockmann.de wrote:
>
> I could write something for .NET. Added GraphBinary support and switching the JSON library could be interesting for some Gremlin.Net users.

AW: 3.5.0 Announcement Volunteers

Posted by fh...@florian-hockmann.de.
I don't think so. The only bug I closed recently was TINKERPOP-2341 but I only closed that because a fix for another bug in 3.4.8 apparently also fixed that one.
I also went through all closed .NET issues that have 3.5.0 as their fix version and no 3.4.x version but didn't find anything else besides GraphBinary, the switch to System.Text.Json and dropped support for .NET Standard 1.3.

But yes, the CosmosDB issues are really time consuming for me but unfortunately, they often don't really get any where as I spend most of the time trying to reproduce the problem.

> I could write something for .NET. Added GraphBinary support and
> switching the JSON library could be interesting for some Gremlin.Net users.

was there anything in 3.5.0 for  .NET that helped CosmosDB users? if any issues closed around that, i think it would be useful to highlight those given how much time you tend to spend in conversation about those issues on JIRA.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Shinavier <jo...@fortytwo.net>.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.