Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> on 2012/10/23 04:34:42 UTC

[ApacheCon EU] China: Visas to Germany

Hi,

I have heard several Chinese speakers who want to present at the
ApacheCon EU 2012 are having problems with getting their visa in time.

Indeed, the recent situation was very bad because the German embassy
doesn't have the resources to handle the strong demand for German visas
in China, e.g. they have only two telephone lines to make appointments
for submitting visa applications.

Just last week the German embassy started to outsource the visa
application process to a private agency which will certainly make
everything easier, e.g. they are checking each application for
completeness and correctness while previously visa applications were
declined deliberately without giving any information about what went wrong.

The website of the visa agency can be found here:
https://cn.tlscontact.com/cnBJS2de/splash.php
The service is available in English, Chinese and German.

Additional information from the German embassy (in Chinese) can be found
here:
http://www.china.diplo.de/Vertretung/china/zh/01-service/visa/tls/0-s.html

Hope it's not to late.

Peter

Re: [ApacheCon EU] China: Visas to Germany

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/23/12 9:14 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 23/10/2012 Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> On 22 October 2012 22:50, Peter Junge wrote:
>>> As well, I'm
>>> also following the ApacheCon list and didn't notice the issue there,
>>> except
>>> Chinese AOO committers asking for invitation letters.
>> Okay; thanks. I then really want to press the idea of
>> tele-video/conferencing.
>
> I've asked about teleconferencing options; you will be able to follow
> the discussion at
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-apachecon-discuss/201210.mbox/browser
>

> and indeed Louis' idea can be a solution if we have a group of speakers
> who cannot attend in person. I guess that in that case we will also want
> to rearrange the schedule so that it is friendlier to people in the
> Chinese timezone, but this is easily done in case.

The idea is not new and we have already addressed it but it seems that
it is not possible or better that we can't relay on it. The organizers
recommend to record the presentation for playback.

Juergen

Re: [ApacheCon EU] China: Visas to Germany

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 23/10/2012 Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 22 October 2012 22:50, Peter Junge wrote:
>> As well, I'm
>> also following the ApacheCon list and didn't notice the issue there, except
>> Chinese AOO committers asking for invitation letters.
> Okay; thanks. I then really want to press the idea of tele-video/conferencing.

I've asked about teleconferencing options; you will be able to follow
the discussion at

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-apachecon-discuss/201210.mbox/browser

and indeed Louis' idea can be a solution if we have a group of speakers
who cannot attend in person. I guess that in that case we will also want
to rearrange the schedule so that it is friendlier to people in the
Chinese timezone, but this is easily done in case.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [ApacheCon EU] China: Visas to Germany

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 22 October 2012 22:50, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 10:40 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for top post but:
>> Are there not other Apache EU projects suffering the same effects?
>

> Indeed, I also considered to sending this information to the ApacheCon list
> but the only Chinese names I can discover on the schedule
> (http://www.apachecon.eu/schedule/) are affiliated with AOO. As well, I'm
> also following the ApacheCon list and didn't notice the issue there, except
> Chinese AOO committers asking for invitation letters.
>
> Peter

Okay; thanks. I then really want to press the idea of tele-video/conferencing.

This technology works. I've experienced it first-hand at least twice,
tho. not from China directly (Brazil, Denmark).

My thinking is that what we really want is to glean what is being presented.

Alternatively, there are what seem to be free televideo/group
conferencing services, like Uberconference. But as at least soem of
the presenters are coming from a big company with Internet power (in
this case, IBM), that can possibly offer some obvious options.

Like the right technology.

Louis

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 10/23/2012 12:39 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2012, at 7:50 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/2012 10:40 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>> Sorry for top post but:
>>> Are there not other Apache EU projects suffering the same effects?
>>
>> Indeed, I also considered to sending this information to the ApacheCon list but the only Chinese names I can discover on the schedule (http://www.apachecon.eu/schedule/) are affiliated with AOO. As well, I'm also following the ApacheCon list and didn't notice the issue there, except Chinese AOO committers asking for invitation letters.
>
> Do the AOO committers require invitation letters from The Apache Software Foundation, or the com-com committee?

As far as I know yes, there have been several requests for such letters
on the ApacheCon mailing list.

> Do these letters need to be addressed to any particular insititution? Germany, China, ... ?

This needs to be checked with the German embassy or the visa agent that
I have been linking yesterday.

However, I would guess that the persons are aware of the procedures. The
problem usually is that the German embassy issues visas very slowly.
Time is the limiting factor.

Peter

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for top post but:

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/10/23 10:34, Peter Junge said:
> Hi,
>
> I have heard several Chinese speakers who want to present at the
> ApacheCon EU 2012 are having problems with getting their visa in time.

Who and how many speakers from China are having this VISA problem?

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/