Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/02/20 07:06:28 UTC

[Q]: .htaccess denied by Apache web-server

In <34...@mecanic.rug.ac.be> Wim Van Paepegem
<wi...@mecanic.rug.ac.be> writes:

>> >It has the permissions :
>> >-rw-rw-rw-   1 wim      wim            87 Feb 13 10:44 .htaccess
>>
>> Of what use is a .htaccess file that is world-writable?

>>That's not a bug.  It has to be readable by whomever you've configured
>>as "User" in httpd.conf.

>So, that's why I made this file world readable.

You also made it world-writabe, though, which makes it useless,
because anybody can now overwrite it.

Many programs in the UNIX world will check critical files to make sure
they are not world-writable, and will skip using the information in such
files.  I haven't checked, but maybe Apache does the same thing?

By the way, there was no need to send me a copy of your posting
formatted to look like private email.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dh...@spams.r.us.com>