Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com> on 1997/11/24 19:55:07 UTC

MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel

>From PC Week's web site
(http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/1124/24nt5.html):

In addition, Microsoft is looking for ways to increase NT 5.0's
performance, including moving more code into kernel mode, according to
other Microsoft Solution Providers. Microsoft has discussed moving IIS
into the kernel, which definitely would increase speed, but at the
expense of stability, the providers said.

"I am the key on the sardine can of justice!" - Darkwing Duck

Re: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Two words:  Novell Netware.

Dean

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>

> > Hey! I've had this great idea - why not run everything in the kernel?
> > All that nasty context switching is such a waste of time. And
> > pre-emptive multitasking, I mean, who really needs that? Only losers who
> > can't write decent co-operative multitasking software. So that'll save
>
> Ha! Welcome back to the world of Acorn Computing.. dazling fast unser
> interfaces, and iconbar 10 years ago, Risc processors 11 years ago. Fancy
> writing for Arthur 1.20 or shall we go for RiscOS 3.1.. ? That Strong Arm
> just Rules !
>
> > some more of that nasty switching. Oh yeah, and seperate address spaces
> > - they're a real pain - we could make the switches 10 times faster
> > without those. Cool! Now, what should it be called? I know! MS-DOS!
>
> Meeeep! Wrong again.. be british, buy british and go for a creamt BBC !

Actually, I had an Archy when they first came out - lovely toys.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@elect6.jrc.it>.
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hey! I've had this great idea - why not run everything in the kernel?
> All that nasty context switching is such a waste of time. And
> pre-emptive multitasking, I mean, who really needs that? Only losers who
> can't write decent co-operative multitasking software. So that'll save

Ha! Welcome back to the world of Acorn Computing.. dazling fast unser
interfaces, and iconbar 10 years ago, Risc processors 11 years ago. Fancy
writing for Arthur 1.20 or shall we go for RiscOS 3.1.. ? That Strong Arm
just Rules !

> some more of that nasty switching. Oh yeah, and seperate address spaces
> - they're a real pain - we could make the switches 10 times faster
> without those. Cool! Now, what should it be called? I know! MS-DOS!

Meeeep! Wrong again.. be british, buy british and go for a creamt BBC !

> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group member
> Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org
> and Technical Director|Email: ben@algroup.co.uk |Apache-SSL author
> A.L. Digital Ltd,     |http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL
> London, England.      |"Apache: TDG" http://www.ora.com/catalog/apache

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy

Re: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Cool.

IIS in kernel.  ISAPI in IIS.  ISAPI make kernel go poof.

While I doubt that MS has any intentions of doing anything that silly, it
would be.... "interesting".  Anyone want to take bets on what version of
NT will finally be an even less protected environment than MacOS7?

If I were running NT for any production web servers, I would be more than
happy to take a 25% performance hit for a 2x increase in stability.  I am
wondering if MS is going the wrong way in trying to make NT stable by
saying it is stable and make it fast by makeing it less stable.

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>.
That's nothing.  I was in Bonair, at the North America sales meeting, and heard
the VP of marketing for the Apache Group say they have moved the NT kernal into
http_main!

   - ben h.

---
Bring me the head of Santa Claus.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@elect6.jrc.it>.
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Heh... Actually Linus has stopped by my office a few times and proposed
> various kernel changes that would make webservers go faster.  We've joked
> about making a loadable module... but it just seems too silly.  This
> sounds to me more like a method of avoiding DoJ legal hassles, by
> declaring webserving to be part of the kernel (much like fileserving can
> be) they might get away with it.

Hmm, I've still got a hack here for FreeBSD. No DNS, no logging, but just
done for the sake of it. And yes I do think it makes sense for some, more
embedded, systems which are doing nothing else anyway.

Dw.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.