Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com> on 2004/02/19 17:44:22 UTC

O'Reilly Struts book missing info (Tiles)

In case this helps some people, yesterday I stumbled on a missing bit of
necessary information in the otherwise very good book, "Programming with
Jakarta Struts," by Chuck Cavaness (Nov 2002 printing):   Chapter 14, 'Using
Tiles', fails to explain the TilesRequestProcessor.  I can find no mention of
this class in the book whatsoever.  Thus the book fails to explain the need
for the developer to extend this class (vs. extending the RequestProcessor
class) when using a custom request processor and Tiles.  When I encountered
this, the error seen in the browser didn't give me a clue as to the problem.
Only reading Tomcat's catalina.out file did I find one line saying to the
effect that the given request processor was not a TilesRequestProcessor.  I
confirmed this reading section 2.1.2, 'Enabling Definitions', in "Tiles
Advanced Features" (http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/
tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf) by Cedric Dumoulin.

Also, the tiles chapter would benefit from an example of using a tile
definition from XML, similar to how he uses a tile definition from a JSP in
Example 14-7.

I've passed these comments to O'Reilly.