Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2004/09/28 15:19:09 UTC

Re: svn commit: r11155 - in trunk/subversion: clients/cmdline include libsvn_client libsvn_ra_dav libsvn_ra_local libsvn_ra_svn libsvn_repos mod_dav_svn svnserve tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 08:00, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > Whoa, I must have missed a discussion somewhere.  I very much dislike
> > the idea of eating up a short-form option name ('l') for an option
> > that only applies to a single subcommand.
>
> Well, personally I'm in favor of it

I missed it in my review.  -1 from me on using a short option letter for
this.  It may be second nature for you, but for most people this is
going to be just another obscure option.

If, after we put this to field, a bunch of people say "I use this option
all the time, can we make it easier?" then we can think about giving it
the -l name.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Ben Reser wrote:

>>>Well, personally I'm in favor of it
>>
>>I missed it in my review.  -1 from me on using a short option letter for
>>this.  It may be second nature for you, but for most people this is
>>going to be just another obscure option.
>>
>>If, after we put this to field, a bunch of people say "I use this option
>>all the time, can we make it easier?" then we can think about giving it
>>the -l name.
>

> Let me save you the trouble...
>
> I'll use this option all the time, can you make it easier?

Well, even if it doesn't convince anyone else at least it makes me feel
better.  I'm not the only one who wants the short version anymore ;-)

-garrett

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 08:00, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>>>Whoa, I must have missed a discussion somewhere.  I very much dislike
>>>the idea of eating up a short-form option name ('l') for an option
>>>that only applies to a single subcommand.
>>
>>Well, personally I'm in favor of it
>

> I missed it in my review.  -1 from me on using a short option letter for
> this.  It may be second nature for you, but for most people this is
> going to be just another obscure option.
>
> If, after we put this to field, a bunch of people say "I use this option
> all the time, can we make it easier?" then we can think about giving it
> the -l name.

Sounds reasonable.  I'll remove it tonight when I get home from work,
unless someone else wants to get to it first.

-garrett