Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Mark Bentley <be...@cs.umn.edu> on 1997/02/27 20:10:01 UTC

os-irix/207: SERVER_NAME not being resolved

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Thu Feb 27 14:00:01 PST 1997

>Number:         207
>Category:       os-irix
>Synopsis:       SERVER_NAME not being resolved
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical

The SERVER_NAME environment variable isn't being fully expanded to the complete
host.domain name format.  I.e. if I connect to http://ftp/cgi-bin/ident.cgi the
SERVER_NAME variable gets set to only "ftp", when it should be resolved to
"ftp.cs.umn.edu"

This problem doesn't occur on our IRIX 5.3 apache server.
>How-To-Repeat:
To demonstrate this problem, DNS needs to be configured locally such that
ftp and ftp.cs resolve to ftp.cs.umn.edu.  For example, our client /etc/resolv.conf
looks like this:
domain cs.umn.edu
nameserver 128.101.248.7
nameserver 128.101.248.58
nameserver 128.101.101.101
search cs.umn.edu umn.edu

>Fix:
Explicitly do a DNS resolution, and set SERVER_NAME to it?  (Should  be quick
as long as /etc/hosts has entries too.%2