Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/01/17 01:36:00 UTC

bad appearance of the first menu box in IE

I've accessed the site from my friends place and the first menu box was
too broad overlapping the content a bit. The reason: too big fonts. The
word 'Documentation' was causing this prob. We definitely can't and
shouldn't fix the style sheet, because there will be always someone who
will use even bigger fonts. But since it's just because we have one long
word that forces the width, any ideas of how to shorten this word, without
losing its meaning? 'Docs'?

Re: bad appearance of the first menu box in IE

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>>which browser/system/screen resolution/font size did you check on ?
>>
>>If I remember correctly it was IE/winXP
>

> i have a laptop with that setup right here. it's true it will happen
> but only with the text-size set to "Largest". on IE there seem to be
> only five size to choose.
>

>>>can you manage a screen shot ?
>>
>>No need to, just imagine the first menu box overlapping a bit with the
>>content frame. The reason is simple: too large fonts.
>

>>Hence I was trying to find a shorter replacement for the word 'Documentation'.
>

> the fonts are relative. so a user should be able to decrease the size.

You usually browse many sites, and you won't go to switch the font size
just for this site if it ruins your browsing experience for other sites.

> if a user decrease the size so that the left menu wont overlap and the
> general text is still useable/readable i don't see a need to find a
> replacemnt word for 'Documentation'. there are probably future
> menu-items that might cause the same kind of problem. i find a fix
> like that an indicator of a bad design. Also to me it looks like the
> word 'Extraordinaire' is going out of the edge wit that fontsize.

Does it? That word has lots of slim letters 'i' so it looks shorter than
'Documentataion' even though it's one letter longer.

> given the lack of other people complaing about the use of the site [as
> far as i'm aware of] i think we should leave this to rest.

OK, no prob.

Re: bad appearance of the first menu box in IE

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> > which browser/system/screen resolution/font size did you check on ?
>
> If I remember correctly it was IE/winXP

i have a laptop with that setup right here. it's true it will happen
but only with the text-size set to "Largest". on IE there seem to be
only five size to choose.

> > can you manage a screen shot ?
>
> No need to, just imagine the first menu box overlapping a bit with the
> content frame. The reason is simple: too large fonts.

> Hence I was trying to find a shorter replacement for the word 'Documentation'.

the fonts are relative. so a user should be able to decrease the size.
if a user decrease the size so that the left menu wont overlap and the
general text is still useable/readable i don't see a need to find a
replacemnt word for 'Documentation'. there are probably future
menu-items that might cause the same kind of problem. i find a fix
like that an indicator of a bad design. Also to me it looks like the
word 'Extraordinaire' is going out of the edge wit that fontsize.

given the lack of other people complaing about the use of the site [as
far as i'm aware of] i think we should leave this to rest.

conservatively yours
./allan

Re: bad appearance of the first menu box in IE

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> hi stas
>
> which browser/system/screen resolution/font size did you check on ?

If I remember correctly it was IE/winXP

> can you manage a screen shot ?

No need to, just imagine the first menu box overlapping a bit with the
content frame. The reason is simple: too large fonts.

Hence I was trying to find a shorter replacement for the word 'Documentation'.

> i agree we shouldn't touch the stylesheet. from a general perspective
> it's amazing how few
> design-fixes there have been since the release of the site.

well, *someone* has done an excellent job in first place! ;)

Re: bad appearance of the first menu box in IE

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
hi stas