Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Predrag Stanar <ps...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/19 18:35:05 UTC

Subversion installation woes

After two days I'm almost ready to give up on subversion. Problem is install. I
have to make it work with Apache (not svnserve) and have choice of Solaris 2.9
and Windows 2000 Server. I hit roadblock on both.

First Solaris. Both Apache and Subversion (1.0.2 and 1.0.3) fail to configure
for Berkeley DB 4.2. Berkeley DB built and installed without any error
message. For example here is relevant configure output for subversion 1.0.3:

checking for Berkeley DB 4.2 in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2...
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb-4.2... no
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb4... no
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb... no

So, it can find db.h (only - is that normal?). And what are -ldb-4.2, -ldb4,
and -ldb? I would expect it to look for libraries, but ...

So, on Solaris I'm stuck there. Any idea?

Windows is even worse. I was trying to fllow section "Building the Latest
Source under Windows" but no luck. First, Berkeley binaries mentioned to be on
the http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList are not there. So
I built it from the source and placed in db4-win32 subdirectory.
After running "python gen-make.py -t dsp --with-httpd=..\httpd-2.0.49" I'm
supposed to:

"Open the subversion_msvc.dsw file gen-make creates in the top-level directory.
Compile the __ALL__ target to compile everything, __ALL_TESTS__ to also build
the test programs."

But, unfortunatelly, Visual Studio complains that apr.dsp makefile is not
generated by Visual Studio, and then it asks me if I want to wrap it. If I say
no 4 or 5 projects are not converted, if I say yes then it eventualy asks me
for 1 or 2 more projects and then it comes to "browse for the file" dialog for
apriconv_ccs_modules.dsp which doesn't exist anywhere. So I'm damn if I do, and
damn if I don't.

As a last resort, I installed Apache from the msi installer provided by them
and then tried to add mod_dav_svn.so provided in
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/12863/svn-win32-1.0.2.zip.
You'd think that would work, but you'd be wrong.

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>Apache.exe
Syntax error on line 173 of C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into
server: The specified module could not be found.

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>dir ..\modules\*svn*

 Directory of  C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\modules\*svn*

2004/04/27   6:07         208,998  mod_authz_svn.so
2004/04/27   6:07         401,506  mod_dav_svn.so
        610,504 bytes in 2 files and 0 dirs    618,496 bytes allocated

There's got to be someone who runs subversion server on Windows (or Solaris 2.9
for that matter). How did you do it?

Re: Subversion installation woes

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
>As a last resort, I installed Apache from the msi installer provided by them
>and then tried to add mod_dav_svn.so provided in
>http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/12863/svn-win32-1.0.2.zip.
>You'd think that would work, but you'd be wrong.
>
>C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>Apache.exe
>Syntax error on line 173 of C:/Program Files/Apache
>Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
>Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into
>server: The specified module could not be found.
>
>C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>dir ..\modules\*svn*
>
> Directory of  C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\modules\*svn*
>
>2004/04/27   6:07         208,998  mod_authz_svn.so
>2004/04/27   6:07         401,506  mod_dav_svn.so
>        610,504 bytes in 2 files and 0 dirs    618,496 bytes allocated
>
>There's got to be someone who runs subversion server on Windows (or Solaris 2.9
>for that matter). How did you do it?

First problem: on Windows, never use the MSI installer as a "last
resort". ALWAYS use the packaged, binary install if there is one!

Next, did you copy libdb42.dll from the Subversion "bin" directory to
your Apache "modules" directory? That's an easy one to miss, it's
documented in the W32notes.txt in the Subversion install directory. Make
sure you read that whole file as well.

Re: Subversion installation woes

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Subversion installation woes
Predrag Stanar wrote on 19 May 2004, 14:35, at least in part:

> After two days I'm almost ready to give up on subversion. Problem is
> install. I have to make it work with Apache (not svnserve) and have
> choice of Solaris 2.9 and Windows 2000 Server. I hit roadblock on
> both.

[text is snipped]

> As a last resort, I installed Apache from the msi installer provided
> by them and then tried to add mod_dav_svn.so provided in
> http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/12863/svn-win32-1.0.2.
> zip. You'd think that would work, but you'd be wrong.

Can't speak for Solaris or compiling, but I would suggest you get
the SVN windows installer (or even the binaries only, but for a first
setup the installer is surely the better thing), too, and install SVN.
Then go to the httpd folder within the SVN folder and copy the two
mod_*_svn.so files into the modules folder of Apache.  Do the
same with libdb42.dll, ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll in the SVN
folder.  You must stop Apache before.

While getting the SVN windows installer at
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91
switch over to http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ and look for FAQ a/o
documentation (there was some rumor lately that one actually has
to follow a link named "Support" or "Service" or similar, sorry,
dunno better, have not been there since some time).  There you will
find a chapter with a very good description of how to set up Apache
for SVN.  That's what I followed originally.  BTW you may also wnat
to get TortoiseSVN as client for Windows.  It intergrates with
Windows explorer, but also works from the context menus of other
filemanagers/apps and has about everything one may need for
creating a repository and checkout/update/commit/merge and all
the other day-by-day and not so day-by-day operations.

Hope this helps.

Jan Hendrik

Freedom quote:

     The power which a multiple millionaire,
     who may be my neighbor and perhaps my employer has over me
     is far less than that which the smallest functionary
     who wields the coercive power of the state,
     and on whose discretion it depends
     whether and how I am allowed to live or to work.
                -- F. A. Hayek