Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Fr...@eFunds.com on 2001/08/30 12:46:36 UTC

DocumentFragment (bug?)

Does anyone have a rational explanation why when I replace a node's child
with a DocumentFragment, the later is emptied, or is it a bug?

For example if I have :
<a>
  <b>
    <b1/>
    <b2/>
    <b3/>
  </b>
  <c>
    <c1/>
  </c>
</a>

and I create a document fragment that contains b1 and b2, and then call
c.replaceChild( docFrag, c1), I get

<a>
  <b>
    <b2/>
  </b>
  <c>
    <b1/>
    <b3/>
  </c>
</a>

which is correct. But I would expect the document fragment to still contain
b1 and b2, which it doesn't with Xerces 1.4.3.

Reading the DOM level 2 doc, I can't see a reasonable explanation either,
also it says "various operation --such as inserting nodes as children of
another node-- result in all the node of the docfrag being MOVED to the
child list of the node". But I would understand that as being moved from
<b> to <c>. After all, if I remove the children of a DocumentFragment, they
are not removed from their owner node are they?

Thanks for any answer.