Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/05 21:38:19 UTC

RfC: commons-fileupload 2, based on mime4j

Hi,

I'd like to ask for feedback on a proposed version of
commons-fileupload. It isn't yet finished, but most of the test cases
are already working.

Changes:

- Based on a slightly patched version of Mime4J. Should be possible to get the
  required changes into upstream. The most important part was the rewrite of
  Mime4J as a pull parser, which is already in.
  Mime4J supports transfer encodings (FILEUPLOAD-131)
- I/O exceptions are no longer trapped, but passed through to the caller.
  (FILEUPLOAD-71)
- Package name changed to org.apache.commons.fileupload2
- Streaming API is now clearly isolated. Traditional style API is still present,
  but clearly distinguished. The Streaming API is implemented by the
  FileUpload class, the traditional API is available through the FileItemStore
- Progress listener enhancements (FILEUPLOAD-142)

A migration guide from 1.x can be found at

    http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload/site/migration.html

The complete site, including the updated docs, can be found at

    http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload

For the distribution, see

  http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload/dist/

I haven't checked the stuff in, as I am waiting for feedback first.

Jochen

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf

Re: RfC: commons-fileupload 2, based on mime4j

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 12:57 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We are most likely to spin off the support for multipart coded POSTs
> > into a separate module (artifact) as of release 4.0, so dependency on
> > Mime4J will remain optional. I do not think Axis2 presently makes any
> > use of multipart coded POSTs anyways, so Axis2 will not be affected at
> > all.
>
> A question: How's posting (creating requests) related to mime4j
> (parsing requests)?
>
> Jochen

Isn't it the opposite side of the same process? No? If the scope of
Mime4j is exclusively about parsing requests, I apologize for bringing
up this idea.

Oleg

Re: RfC: commons-fileupload 2, based on mime4j

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 21:25 -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Hmm, if we are doing this (mime4j in httpclient), please let us know
> so that we will look more seriously at getting rid of mailapi jar in
> axis2 and depend on mime4j as well. since we dependent heavily on
> httpclient.
>
> thanks,
> dims

Hi Davanum,

We are most likely to spin off the support for multipart coded POSTs
into a separate module (artifact) as of release 4.0, so dependency on
Mime4J will remain optional. I do not think Axis2 presently makes any
use of multipart coded POSTs anyways, so Axis2 will not be affected at
all.

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.