Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/18 04:15:54 UTC

Support customized security protocol

Hi Kafka team,

I want to know if I can plug-in my own security protocol to Kafka to
implement project specific authentication mechanism. The current supported
authentication protocols, SASL/GSSAPI and SSL, are not supported in my
company and we have own security protocol to do authentication.

Is it a good idea to make ChannelBuilder extensible so that I can implement
it with my own security channel?

Re: Support customized security protocol

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Done.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Support customized security protocol

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guozhang,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Tao,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Connie,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:56 AM, Connie Yang <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Ismael, what's the status of the SASL/PLAIN PR,
> https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/341?

Rajini said he would create a KIP for it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2658?focusedCommentId=14987903&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14987903

Ismael

Re: Support customized security protocol

Posted by Connie Yang <cy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Tao,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 2:25 AM, tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The PR provides a new SASL mech but it doesn't provide a pluggable way to
> implement user's own logic to do authentication. So I don't think the PR
> will meet my need.

Yes, as I said, that would not be enough for your use-case. But it will
allow a SASL mechanism to be specified via a config. In theory, you could
extend that to allow user classes to implement SASL mechanisms. Anyway, I
am not suggesting that this is better than having pluggable ChannelBuilder
implementations, just that it's an alternative (which was your question :)).

I will write a KIP to open the discussion.

OK.

p.s. Ismael, can you grant me the permission to create a KIP in Kafka space?

I don't have the permissions to do it, sorry. Guozhang has done it though.
:)

Ismael

Re: Support customized security protocol

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Tao,

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.