Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/29 03:12:59 UTC

Re: Rép : Re: manual background re-indexing

You simply create two cores. One in solr/cores/core1 and another in
solr/cores/core2
They each have a separate conf and data directory,and the index in in
core#/data/index.

Really, its' just introducing one more level. You can experiment just
by configuring a core
and copying your index to solr/cores/yourcore/data/index. After, of
course, configuring
Solr.xml to understand cores.

Best
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I'm a little confused about your use of the word "reload", see below.

But if this doesn't clarify things, or your experiments give strange
results, could
you please start posting sample configurations so we can be sure we're talking
about the same thing?

Best
Erick

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> I understand that multicores allows met o create two cores which are just normal solr-homes. That's easy.
>
> However I'm only interested to the reload command and, in particular, to reload the underlying index segment files.
>
> Do I understand correctly that the following is what I should do?
> - still make my setting multicore and get the core-admin requesthandler to work, even with one core
Great place to start.
> - attempt the reload with a change of solrconfig or schema
Should work find. A reload will cause that core to understand the
changes to the schema
> - do the reload of data by changing the index-segment-path in the config as an example of the above
Here's where I'm confused. Changing the index-segment-path in config
to point where? I guess you
*could* point at your old Solr index directory for, say, core1. But
the normal path would be
<solr home>/cores/core1/. Under that directory you should have a bin,
conf, and data just like
you had under <solr home>.

Reloading doesn't have much to do with the actual contents of the
.../data directory, if you relocate
stuff you'd have to copy those three directories to the place that
corresponds to the path in solrconfig.xml

I've never had one core point to the <solr home> directory and other
cores point to the "normal" place,
so I can't speak from experience but it seems to me that this should work.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.