Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@activex-dev.com> on 2000/04/13 06:20:39 UTC

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I cannot get mod_perl/apache compiled

I simply cannot get mod_perl/apache to compile.  My understanding is
that I configure .makepl_args.mod_perl to compile both mod_perl.  Then I
do the following:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

Assuming there where no problems, all should be installed and ready to
go.  But all is not well.  First some version info.  I just downloaded
mod_perl-1.22 and apache_1.3.12 and am working with fresh trees.  I run
the perl Makefile.PL and that seems to work well, I don't see any
errors.  When I try to run make, I get this error:

# make
(cd /usr/src/apache_1.3.12 && make)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/apache_1.3.12'
make[1]: *** No targets.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/apache_1.3.12'
make: *** [apaci_httpd] Error 2

My understanding is that the `perl Makefile.PL` WILL also run configure
for apache.  Just to make sure I was not mistaken, I have tried to first
go into the apache tree and run configure with the same options that are
in my .makepl_args.mod_perl.  Then run `perl Makefile.PL`, run `make`
(which works this time), and then run `make test`.  It is `make test`
that bombs out with this error:

letting apache warm up...\c
Syntax error on line 30 of /usr/src/mod_perl-1.22/t/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command '=pod', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration
done
/usr/local/bin/perl t/TEST 0
still waiting for server to warm up...............not ok
server failed to start! (please examine t/logs/error_log) at t/TEST line
95.
make: *** [run_tests] Error 111

Now, there is no 't/logs/error_log' file to examine.  But I did notice
an error in reading in the the httpd.conf file.  I looked into line 30
of '/usr/src/mod_perl-1.22/t/conf/httpd.conf' and this is what I found:

=pod

=head1 NAME

mod_perl test configuration file

=head1 DESCRIPTION

umm, we use this to test mod_perl

=over to apache

I am under the impression that the httpd.conf file is the conf file that
httpd is reading in for the test.  My understanding is that equals is
not a valid beginning of an apache conf file.

I have NO CLUE as to what is going on here.  I would truly appreciate it
if you know anything about this please let me know what is going on.  At
the bottom you will find my '.makepl_args.mod_perl' and the command line
options I am using for apache.

Sam

----------------------.makepl_args.mod_perl----------------------
# File: .makepl_args.mod_erl
# enable all phase callbacks, API modules and misc features
EVERYTHING=1

# tell runtime diagnostics to active if MOD_PERL_TRACE environment
# variable is set at runtime
PERL_TRACE=1

# tell Makefile.pl where the Apache source tree is
APACHE_SRC=/usr/src/apache_1.3.12/src

# tell Makefile.PL where the Apache is to be isntalled
APACHE_PREFIX=/data01/apache

# disable Makefile.pl from compiling Apache
#PREP_HTTPD=1

# tell Makefile.PL to use the first source found, which will be the
# path specified above by APACHE_SRC
DO_HTTPD=1

# tell Makefile.PL to configure Apache using the apaci interface
USE_APACI=1

# tell makefile.PL to configure ssl support, too
#-SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl

# add mod_info, mod_status, mod_usertrack, and mod_unique_id
#-ADD_MODULE=info,status,usertrack,unique_id

# additional arguments to give Apache's configure script
# aruments can be delimited by comma and/or specified with multipal
# APACI_ARGS lines
#APACI_ARGS=--includedir=/usr/src/php
#APACI_ARGS=--activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
APACI_ARGS=--with-layout=apache.config.layout:Sam-Layout
APACI_ARGS=--server-uid=wwwrun
APACI_ARGS=--server-gid=dosemu
APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=most
APACI_ARGS=--enable-shared=max
----------------------.makepl_args.mod_perl----------------------

----------------------apache config script----------------------
#! /bin/sh
ROOT_DIR=/usr/src

$ROOT_DIR/apache_1.3.12/configure \
        --with-layout=/root/apache.config.layout:Sam-Layout \
        --with-perl=src/modules/perl \
        --enable-module=most \
        --server-uid=wwwrun \
        --server-gid==dosemu \
        --enable-shared=max
----------------------apache config script----------------------

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! I cannot get mod_perl/apache compiled

Posted by Robert Monical <rm...@destinations.com>.
Shared pain! Have just been through this.
Sequencing is a little arcane.

Make mod_perl
Install mod_perl
Make Apache
Install Apche
Make test mod_perl.

Mod_perl needs a perl aware Apache.
The additions to the http.conf are stripped out by a perl aware Apache.

I may not have addressed your specific issue, since I have not seen the
first error message.

Have a great day!

--Robert Monical
--Director of CRM Development
--rmonical@destinations.com

"The Truth is Out There"

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! I cannot get mod_perl/apache compiled

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install

> APACHE_SRC=/usr/src/apache_1.3.12/src
> APACHE_PREFIX=/data01/apache
> DO_HTTPD=1

with that config, mod_perl will build httpd for you and install with 'make
install'.  that's all you need.

> $ROOT_DIR/apache_1.3.12/configure \
>         --with-layout=/root/apache.config.layout:Sam-Layout \
>         --with-perl=src/modules/perl \
>         --enable-module=most \
>         --server-uid=wwwrun \
>         --server-gid==dosemu \
>         --enable-shared=max

if you run this after, you've overwritten httpd with a new one that
doesn't contain mod_perl.  just skip this step and you should be all set.

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! I cannot get mod_perl/apache compiled

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Sam Carleton wrote:

> I simply cannot get mod_perl/apache to compile.  My understanding is
> that I configure .makepl_args.mod_perl to compile both mod_perl.  Then I
> do the following:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> Assuming there where no problems, all should be installed and ready to
> go.  But all is not well.  First some version info.  I just downloaded
> mod_perl-1.22 and apache_1.3.12 and am working with fresh trees.  I run
> the perl Makefile.PL and that seems to work well, I don't see any
> errors.  When I try to run make, I get this error:

Where do you have the .makepl_args.mod_perl file? Does it get "picked up"?

With the (.)makepl_args.mod_perl file you have you should not need the
apache configure thing you posted in the bottom of the mail.

And yes, "make" should work after running perl Makefile.PL.

In what directories did you untar the tar balls with the source for apache
and modperl?

What is the output from perl Makefile.PL?

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>
more than 70M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>