Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim McIntyre <tm...@easystreet.com> on 2006/09/09 22:28:43 UTC

[users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3

Hey all,

I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.

On FreeBSD

./configure  --with-port=8080 --enable-mods-shared=most
make
make install

After doing that I will have apache 2.3 installed and ready to listen
on port 8080 and my 1.2.9 apache will run as always >>completely<<
untouched?  Then I'll be able to muck around with the config to get
everything working just right before swapping the ports for the final
launch?

If I understand correctly I don't even have to use the --prefix
option because I'm going from 1.x to 2.x... correct?

Do I end up with two separate APRs or does the existing one get
rebuilt and continue to work with the 1.2.9 install (assuming the
answer to my first question is yes)?

I presume that "--enable-mods-shared=most" will enable all modules,
as DSOs, except the developer ones... correct?

I will then be able to install any 3rd party mods using
apxs...correct?  Or does "--enable-mods-shared=most" include the
third party mods?

Thanks  in advance!
Tim

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind.
   - Dr. Seuss

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.
It was thus said that the Great Gerard Seibert once stated:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:28, Tim McIntyre wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
> > have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
> > production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Emphasis added.

> > On FreeBSD
>
> [...]
>
> Tim I also use FreeBSD 6.1 with Apache2. I know that you have already received
> some feed back on this issue. I would just like to recommend that you
> use 'portmanager' to install the new apache port. I am not sure if you are
> familiar with this program. It is in the ports tree: "sysutils/portmanager".
> Running it like this:
>
> 	portmanager www/apache22 -f -l -y
>
> would insure that the port and all of its dependencies were built correctly. A
> log file is created in /var/log/portmanager.log for your perusal.

  But Tim also has 1.2.9 running that I suspect he doesn't want blown away
as he migrates to Apache 2.3, and on that basis, I would *not* use the
portmanager at all, for fear it would overwrite the existing 1.2.9 Apache.

  Also, when you run configure and do *not* give it the --prefix option, the
default location for installing Apache is "/usr/local/apache2/".

  -spc (I've had very bad experiences with various package managers, so
	I tend not to trust them at all ... )

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3

Posted by Gerard Seibert <ge...@seibercom.net>.
On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:28, Tim McIntyre wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
> have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
> production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.
>
> On FreeBSD

[...]

Tim I also use FreeBSD 6.1 with Apache2. I know that you have already received
some feed back on this issue. I would just like to recommend that you
use 'portmanager' to install the new apache port. I am not sure if you are
familiar with this program. It is in the ports tree: "sysutils/portmanager".
Running it like this:

	portmanager www/apache22 -f -l -y

would insure that the port and all of its dependencies were built correctly. A
log file is created in /var/log/portmanager.log for your perusal.

Just my 2ยข.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net

Sex is a natural bodily process, like a stroke.

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade 1.2.9 -> 2.3

Posted by Tim McIntyre <tm...@easystreet.com>.
On Sep 9, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Sean Conner wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Tim McIntyre once stated:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've been tasked with upgrading our ancient (1.2.9) apache to 2.3.  I
>> have read and researched this a good bit but this is on our
>> production server so I need to be >>really<< sure.
>>
>> On FreeBSD
>>
>> ./configure  --with-port=8080 --enable-mods-shared=most
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> After doing that I will have apache 2.3 installed and ready to listen
>> on port 8080 and my 1.2.9 apache will run as always >>completely<<
>> untouched?  Then I'll be able to muck around with the config to get
>> everything working just right before swapping the ports for the final
>> launch?
>
>   It should.  Apache 2.x installs everything by default to
> /usr/local/apache2 (unless you state otherwise) and will run from
> there.

Can anyone give me an "it will, for sure!"?

>> If I understand correctly I don't even have to use the --prefix
>> option because I'm going from 1.x to 2.x... correct?
>
>   The --prefix option just tells configure where you want to
> install the
> resulting binaries, libraries and configuration files.
>
>> Do I end up with two separate APRs or does the existing one get
>> rebuilt and continue to work with the 1.2.9 install (assuming the
>> answer to my first question is yes)?
>
>   I'm not sure if 1.2 even has APR, but the APR built for Apache 2.x
> shouldn't interfer with Apache 1.2.
>
>> I presume that "--enable-mods-shared=most" will enable all modules,
>> as DSOs, except the developer ones... correct?
>
>   Not in my experience.  When I did "--enable-mods-stared=all" I
> still had
> to specify a few (mostly the proxy and caching modules)
> explicitely.  This
> was for Apache 2.2.2.  You also want to make sure you enable mod-so
> else you
> won't have a way to load up the dynamically loadable modules.

I think --enable-mods-shared automatically includes mod_so?

Thanks!
Tim

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.