Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net> on 2006/10/02 21:36:30 UTC

OT : aol blocking URLs with IPs rather than hostnames?

Anyone else seen this one?
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvuip.html
Seems rather harsh, but probably quite effective.

Ken A.
Pacific.Net

Re: OT : aol blocking URLs with IPs rather than hostnames?

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.
On Oct 2, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Ken A wrote:

> The web page says that it's a policy, not an error. Perhaps the
> rule misfired and they backed it out, but it looks like they have
> every intention of blocking URLs in email that consist of IPs
> rather than hostnames.

They most certainly do and have done for a long time.  The rule being
backed out today was an update to the one enforcing this policy which
was matching stuff other than what was intended.

Re: OT : aol blocking URLs with IPs rather than hostnames?

Posted by Adam Lanier <ad...@krusty.madoff.com>.
On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 12:52 -0700, Ken A wrote:

> The web page says that it's a policy, not an error. Perhaps the rule
> misfired and they backed it out, but it looks like they have every
> intention of blocking URLs in email that consist of IPs rather than
> hostnames.

Perhaps we're speaking about different issues here.  The appropriateness
of the policy on AOL's website is not the issue I was responding to
although it may indeed be the issue you're bringing up.

On the SPAM-L mailing list, several incidents were reported today
regarding this policy:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvuip.html

However, in the reported instances, the emails in question didn't
contain any URL's containing numeric IP addresses.  One, in fact, was
reported only to have an elipsis '...' in the body of the message.

Other purportedly offending body contents were:

"CNN Interactive email id:59531217083351400" in a plain text email!!

and this

"http://f.chtah.com/i/32/392907741/700px_spacer.gif"

AOL reported that there was a problem with the code that handles the
enforcement of this policy and it was temporarily removed while the code
was corrected.

As far as AOL's policy, I say more power to 'em.

Re: OT : aol blocking URLs with IPs rather than hostnames?

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Posted by Adam Lanier <ad...@krusty.madoff.com>.