Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Federica Oltolina <fe...@ubiquity.it> on 2009/04/17 15:31:30 UTC

Is there a way to make Struts2 working with other methods different than classic getter/setter?

Hi all,
my head office yesterday asked me if it's possible to declare
in some special file a mapping between actions and their methods
because he'd like to use custom getter/setter methods containing some
little formatting operations.

For example, for the action attribute:
/
private String bankingCode;/

he liked having in our action more than one getter that would sound like:

/getBankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero();
getBankingCodePrecedeedByFiveZero();
and so on...

/and then in the jsp that corresponds to the action cited above ho would
Struts2 to be able
to understanding the correct setter/getter method, for example he'd like
to write

/...
<s:property value="//bankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero//"/>
...//
/
obtaining the result of the method /getBankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero();

/Someone knows if there is a way to do this?
No matter if this sounds like a swearword for a Struts2 good user
or if this is not smart, he asked me this.

Thanks in advance
Federica

Re: Is there a way to make Struts2 working with other methods different than classic getter/setter?

Posted by Pierre Lavignotte <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Not sure to understand but I think you don't have any problem...

If you use a tag like <s:property value="bankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero"/>
Struts will not look to the attribute bankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero but for
the method getBankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero().

You can even write this method without having the
bankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero attribute at all, or name it myBankingCode, or
superMan or anything you want.

Hope it helps,
Pierre

Cordialement,
Pierre Lavignotte
Ingénieur Conception & Développement
http://pierre.lavignotte.googlepages.com

Posted by Federica Oltolina <fe...@ubiquity.it>.
Thank you all, that worked fine!
Regards
Federica

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> if you mean spring specify struts.objectFactory.spring.autowire
> in /resources/struts-plugin.xml e.g.
>
> struts.objectFactory.spring.autoWire = type

Whoops-I think you replied to the wrong message! This thread was about
accessing getter methods of the action.

Dave

RE: Is there a way to make Struts2 working with other methods different than classic getter/setter?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
if you mean spring specify struts.objectFactory.spring.autowire
in /resources/struts-plugin.xml e.g.

struts.objectFactory.spring.autoWire = type

The autowire property can be set to several options.

 name
 Auto-wire by matching the name of the bean in Spring with the name of the property in your action. This is the default

 type
 Auto-wire by looking for a bean registered
with Spring of the same type as the property in your action. This
requires you to have only one bean of this type registered with Spring

 auto
 Spring will attempt to auto-detect the best method for auto-wiring your action

 constructor
 Spring will auto-wire the parameters of the bean's constructor
http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/spring-plugin.html

hth
Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

Windows Live™: Life without walls.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_allup_1b_explore_042009

Re: Is there a way to make Struts2 working with other methods different than classic getter/setter?

Posted by Jim Kiley <jh...@summa-tech.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Federica Oltolina wrote:
> my head office yesterday asked me if it's possible to declare
> in some special file a mapping between actions and their methods
> because he'd like to use custom getter/setter methods containing some
> little formatting operations.
>
> For example, for the action attribute:
> /
> private String bankingCode;/
>
> he liked having in our action more than one getter that would sound like:
>
> /getBankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero();
> getBankingCodePrecedeedByFiveZero();
> and so on...
>
> /and then in the jsp that corresponds to the action cited above ho would
> Struts2 to be able
> to understanding the correct setter/getter method, for example he'd like
> to write
>
> /...
> <s:property value="//bankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero//"/>
> ...//
> /
> obtaining the result of the method /getBankingCodePrecedeedByAnyZero();
>
> /Someone knows if there is a way to do this?
> No matter if this sounds like a swearword for a Struts2 good user
> or if this is not smart, he asked me this.

As others have said, this works out-of-the-box.

There are other, simpler mechanisms for doing such formatting, though,
that don't require loading up the action class with a million getters,
though!

Dave