Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by got kube <go...@shaw.ca> on 2023/03/25 03:24:02 UTC

Blank White Screen & Internal Server Error

Hi there! I've been struggling to get my Guacamole install working all week; I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I built guacd from source; pulled from github. I tried building the 'release' but ran into compilation/syntax issues on my system (SlackwareARM current), whereas the pull from github built and runs fine.

I attempted to build the guacamole client from source as well, but ran into build issues there as well that I didn't want to dig into. So I opted to use the 'release' war file on the Downloads page.

I installed it into Tomcat (10.1) and after adding a tweak to my context.xml file (<Loader jakartaConverter="TOMCAT" />) it appears to start according to the Tomcat Webapp Manager.

When I point my browser to the application path, it seems it attempts to load, but gives up quickly and leaves me with a blank white page.
I've looked at my logs but they don't provide me with much of anything to go off of. I've poted them to githib here:
[ https://github.com/gotkube/guacamolefails | https://github.com/gotkube/guacamolefails ]

In short; the access_log shows that requests to assets like css, javascript and images appear to be returned (with 200 result values in the log), but api requests return a code of 500 (see the bottom few lines of [ https://github.com/gotkube/guacamolefails/blob/main/tomcathost.mydomain.vpn.access_log.2023-03-23.txt | https://github.com/gotkube/guacamolefails/blob/main/tomcathost.mydomain.vpn.access_log.2023-03-23.txt ] )

I'm confused as to why this is happening and what needs to be done to get it working. I don't see anything in the Tomcat logs to suggest a
problem with Guacamole, but clearly something isn't working for me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or insight into how to get this working.

Thanks!

Re: Blank White Screen & Internal Server Error

Posted by got kube <go...@shaw.ca>.
Thanks Michael,

Downgrading to Tomcat 9 seems to have fixed the problem. I'm now able to login, but I'm having connection problem with guacd.
I'm able to now login and it begins to connect, but then disconnects without any explanation.

I came across this in my guacd output:

guacd: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libguac-terminal.so.0: undefined symbol: pango_font_description_new

... after which the connection is immediately removed.

I have pango-1.50.12 installed, which came installed on Slackware current; I wonder if my pango version is too new as well?

Thanks!

Hi there! I've been struggling to get my Guacamole install working all week; I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I built guacd from source; pulled from github. I tried building the 'release' but ran into compilation/syntax issues on my system (SlackwareARM current), whereas the pull from github built and runs fine.

I have a soft spot for Slackware. It's how I got into Linux.

You are probably running into:

[ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-1714 | https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-1714 ]

Disabling the guacenc build would work around that. Testing a build of the latest dev code is more than welcome, too, though.

BQ_BEGIN

I attempted to build the guacamole client from source as well, but ran into build issues there as well that I didn't want to dig into. So I opted to use the 'release' war file on the Downloads page.

I installed it into Tomcat (10.1) and after adding a tweak to my context.xml file (<Loader jakartaConverter="TOMCAT" />) it appears to start according to the Tomcat Webapp Manager.

BQ_END

You need to use Tomcat 9.x. You cannot use Tomcat 10+. The converter will not affect Guacamole's extensions, and there will be mysterious and inexplicable failures.

- Mike

Re: Blank White Screen & Internal Server Error

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Sedlak <as...@glux.com.au>.
Sounds like a database connection issue.
That's been the case for me whenever guacamole threw a white screen.

⁣Kind Regards,
Andrew​