Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com> on 2016/09/14 09:17:52 UTC

Running Karaf assembly from Maven

Hi,

There seems to be a goal for maven "karaf:run" which can run a single
bundle. But is there some way to run a karaf assembly, directly from maven.

Thanks for your help

Jens

--
Jens Reimann
Senior Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB
153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill

Re: Running Karaf assembly from Maven

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.
My goal is to run it out of Eclipse, assembling a distribution and
test-running it. AFAIR Eclipse can run a Maven target with debugging set
up, it should be possible to test-run the final Karaf distribution with
debugging support.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
exactly, at this point you're just debugging the maven process ... not the
karaf one :)

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.
Maybe have a look at the source code of that plugin [1], I am not 100% sure
.. but to me it looks like the maven plugin actually runs the karaf
instance inside the same JVM instance.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/tooling/karaf-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/tooling/RunMojo.java#L112

Posted by David Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok thank you.  I thought the native container didn't and only the forked
container did but I do run the forked container.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by David Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.
Some problem with typing:

target/assembly/bin/karaf

?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Pax exam is better for this. All depends of the use case.

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.
Cool, a link to that would really help!

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Jens

Posted by Jens Reimann <jr...@redhat.com>.
Well but I don't want to run unit tests! I do want to run the final Karaf
distribution. Including the ability to start and stop bundles using the
console.

As far as I understood Pax exam is for unit testing. With no manual
interaction.

Posted by David Daniel <da...@gmail.com>.