Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tamar Fraenkel <ta...@tok-media.com> on 2012/10/08 22:08:12 UTC

READ messages dropped

Hi!
In the last 3 days I see many messages of "READ messages dropped in last
5000ms" on one of my 3 nodes cluster.
I see no errors in the log.
There are also messages of "Finished hinted handoff of 0 rows to endpoint"
but I had those for a while now, so I don't know if they are related.
I am running Cassandra 1.0.8 on a 3 node cluster on EC2 m1.large instances.
Rep factor 3 (Quorum read and write)

Does anyone have a clue what I should be looking for, or how to solve it?
Thanks,

*Tamar Fraenkel *
Senior Software Engineer, TOK Media

[image: Inline image 1]

tamar@tok-media.com
Tel:   +972 2 6409736
Mob:  +972 54 8356490
Fax:   +972 2 5612956

Re: READ messages dropped

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Tamar Fraenkel <ta...@tok-media.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. My cluster is in a bad state those recent days.
>
> I have 29 CFs, and my disk is 5% full... So I guess the VMs still have
> more space to go, and I am not sure this is considered many CFs.

That's not too many CFs.  I don't know how much 5% of your disk space is in
absolute numbers, which is more important.  The most important measure for
whether you are approaching limits is really disk utilization (as in how
busy the disk is, not how much data it's holding).  OpsCenter exposes
metrics for this that you should check.

> But maybe I have memory issues. I enlarge cassandra memory from about ~2G
> to ~4G (out of ~8G). This was done because at that stage I had lots of key
> caches. I then reduced them to almost 0 on all CF. I guess now I can reduce
> the memory back to ~2 or ~3 G. Will that help?

I would leave your heap at 4G.  You really do want key caching enabled in
almost all circumstances; it can save you a lot of disk activity on reads.
If you need to bump your heap up to 4.5G to accommodate key caches, it's
worth it.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: READ messages dropped

Posted by Tamar Fraenkel <ta...@tok-media.com>.
Hi!

Re: READ messages dropped

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

Re: READ messages dropped

Posted by Tamar Fraenkel <ta...@tok-media.com>.
Hi!
Thanks for the answer.
I don't see much change in the load this Cassandra cluster is under, so why
is the sudden surge of such messages?

Re: READ messages dropped

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.