Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ritu Sabharwal <rs...@Brocade.com> on 2014/07/09 00:29:02 UTC

[Help] Help for setting up Vmware Cluster in CloudStack...

Hi Ilya,

I am trying to add VMWare DC for the first time in CloudStack management server and need help in doing so. I am trying to test the Brocade Network Plugin functionality. The Jira id is : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-6823

I am following the Tutorial: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Advanced+Network+Tutorial+-+Step+by+Step

My Network setup:

1.       2 ESXi hosts 4.1.0 hosts.

2.       vCenter 5.0

Network layout:

vSwitch0: For Management Network
vSwitch0: for Guest Network

vSwitch0 is assigned 1 Physical Nic. This Nic is connected to Brocade VDX switch.

My test includes:

 *   Create an isolated network; verify that the port-profile is created on the Brocade switch.
 *   Attach a VM to the network; verify that the VMs MAC address is associated with the port profile of the network on the Brocade switch.
 *   Add VMs to the same guest network but on different hosts and verify connectivity.
 *   Check the availability of the switch by using the CloudStack API: http://<managerment-server>:8096/client/api?command=listHosts&type=L2Networking. This should list the switch with its availability status.
 *   Delete VMs for an isolated network; verify that the VMs MAC address is disassociated with the port profile of the network on the Brocade switch.
 *   Delete the isolated network; verify that the port-profile is deleted from the Brocade switch.

I have few questions:

1.       Where do I download the system vm template for vmware. I am using master CS codebase, I don't have the script /usr/lib64/cloud/common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt

2.       Since I am testing L2 connectivity b/w VMs using Brocade switches by configuring the VLANs( by creating port-profiles) for the network on the switches, do I need to assign a IP range for Public network and storage network?

3.       In the tutorial, there are 2 portgroups for VMs on Managemnt Network and Development Network? What are these 2 types of VMs?

4.       For primary storage, do I give the datastore attached to the hypervisor hosts?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritu S.

Re: [Help] Help for setting up Vmware Cluster in CloudStack...

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Ritu,

I will email you privately to help with setup.

Regards
ilya

Posted by Amogh Vasekar <am...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

The management server logs will help.
Templates for launching user Vms won't be available until SSVM comes up
and downloads them to the correct location.
You may want to confirm if you are using the right systemVM template for
the (4.5?) build.
Adding Rayees who may be able to point to the right systemVM template.

Thanks,
Amogh

On 9/11/14 11:25 AM, "Ritu Sabharwal" <rs...@Brocade.com> wrote:

>Hello CS developers,
>
>I need help in setting up Vmware cluster in CloudStack.
>
>Any help is appreciated!
>
>Thanks & Regards,
>Ritu S.

I followed the steps from the tutorial: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Advanced+Network+Tutorial+-+Step+by+Step

I imported the system template from the location  http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/systemvm64template-2014-01-14-master-vmware.ova by running the command

/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /mnt/secondary -u systemvm64template-2014-01-14-master-vmware.ova -h vmware -F

Looks like the import did not happen successfully because the ova file created under /mnt/secondary/template/tmpl/1/8/ is of size 0.

/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /mnt/nfs/secondary -u http://my-webserver/systemvm64template-latest-master-vmware.ova -h vmware -F

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Ritu,