Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Walid Aljoby <wa...@yahoo.com> on 2017/12/21 02:58:02 UTC

Back-pressure mechanism

Dear All,
My concern is about on which queue Storm relies to for back-pressure.
I did simple test for back-pressure supported by Storm.Each instance (executor) maintains incoming(receive) Q and outgoing(transfer) Q, and according to min and max threshold on these queues, a back-pressure works to slow down the spout in case of queue buildup.
The purpose I wanted to make sure in case of link bottleneck whether back-pressure still helps or not. The conclusion, it helps only in case of queue buildup due to CPU bottleneck. I guess the reason for which why it could not make it for link bottleneck, because back-pessure relies only on the executor receive Q.
Does this make sense? If so, could we anyway make the back-pressure also working if ececutor transfer Q is full in case of link bottleneck?
Thanks!
Best,AlgobySent from Yahoo Mail on Android