Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/03/28 01:33:29 UTC

Welcome and some initial decisions

Welcome to the developer list for the ADF Faces podling!  Our mission,
should we choose to accept it :-), is to follow the necessary steps of the
Apache Incubator process[1], and get ADF Faces graduated into the MyFaces
project.  A key status document to keep track of is our project status page
on the Incubator web site[2], which I've just updated to reflect the status
so far.  If you see anything amiss on this page, please let me know and I
can get it updated pretty quickly.

While preparing the initial versions of this page, I made a couple of
assumptions that should actually be confirmed by this group (or, in the
classic Apache way, by silent consensus if nobody objects).  It's worth
articulating them, to see if we want to make changes:

(1) Web Site

As an Incubator podling, we have the option to host a web site at an easily
guessed URL (http://incubator.apache.org/adffaces/) if we want one.  An
advantage is that you can find this fairly easily -- a disadvantage is it
can only be updated by me, so things might not always happen instantly.  At
the moment, I've got the status page pointing at the MyFaces web site,
assuming that the number of MyFaces committers that can update that makes it
a good idea.  If we want to stay that way, we should:

* Establish a subsection of this web site for the latest and greatest info
about ADF Faces

* Make the Incubator URL a pointer to this subsection.

If we want our own incubator web site, on the other hand, I'll need some
content to put up initially.

(2) Wiki

It's possible to ask for a special Wiki, but it made more sense to me to
reuse the MyFaces wiki for stuff that should be publicly updateable.

(3) JIRA Categories

Per the initial project proposal, we now have a JIRA project[3] to track
bugs against ADF Faces.  What we don't have yet is categories or version
numbers that create the metadata used to categorize issues.  We'll want to
figure out what makes sense.  (I can add them, as I'm project admin for
this).

I will be making periodic reports to the Incubator PMC (and indirectly to
the Board) on our progress, as well as keeping the status page up to date.

Craig

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/adffaces.html
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES

Re: Welcome and some initial decisions

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I agree.  I don't see any reason yet to set up a new wiki,
or for our own website.  All of our relevant content can
go on the MyFaces wiki.

Once we get the build really going, with docs, etc., will
there be a place we can put those docs on the main
MyFaces site?

-- Adam

Posted by Jonas Jacobi <jo...@oracle.com>.
Hi Craig,

Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Welcome to the developer list for the ADF Faces podling!  Our mission,
> should we choose to accept it :-), is to follow the necessary steps of the
> Apache Incubator process[1], and get ADF Faces graduated into the MyFaces
> project.  A key status document to keep track of is our project status page
> on the Incubator web site[2], which I've just updated to reflect the status
> so far.  If you see anything amiss on this page, please let me know and I
> can get it updated pretty quickly.
>
> While preparing the initial versions of this page, I made a couple of
> assumptions that should actually be confirmed by this group (or, in the
> classic Apache way, by silent consensus if nobody objects).  It's worth
> articulating them, to see if we want to make changes:
>
> (1) Web Site
>
> As an Incubator podling, we have the option to host a web site at an easily
> guessed URL (http://incubator.apache.org/adffaces/) if we want one.  An
> advantage is that you can find this fairly easily -- a disadvantage is it
> can only be updated by me, so things might not always happen instantly.  At
> the moment, I've got the status page pointing at the MyFaces web site,
> assuming that the number of MyFaces committers that can update that makes it
> a good idea.  If we want to stay that way, we should:
>
> * Establish a subsection of this web site for the latest and greatest info
> about ADF Faces
>
> * Make the Incubator URL a pointer to this subsection.
>
> If we want our own incubator web site, on the other hand, I'll need some
> content to put up initially.

+1 on keeping it on the MyFaces page and make the Incubator URL point to
a subsection addressing ADF Faces.
> (2) Wiki
>
> It's possible to ask for a special Wiki, but it made more sense to me to
> reuse the MyFaces wiki for stuff that should be publicly updateable.

+1 on reusing the MyFaces wiki.
> (3) JIRA Categories
>
> Per the initial project proposal, we now have a JIRA project[3] to track
> bugs against ADF Faces.  What we don't have yet is categories or version
> numbers that create the metadata used to categorize issues.  We'll want to
> figure out what makes sense.  (I can add them, as I'm project admin for
> this).
>
> I will be making periodic reports to the Incubator PMC (and indirectly to
> the Board) on our progress, as well as keeping the status page up to date.
>
> Craig
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/adffaces.html
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES