Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Piotr Kozak <ko...@poczta.fm> on 2010/01/09 13:47:59 UTC

maven and java

Hello

How to force maven to use concrete java.
I have 3 java's (1.4, 1.5, 1.6).
I would like to use 1.4 with maven and have JAVA_HOME set to 1.6. Is it
possible?
Even if I set JAVA_HOME to 1.4, I think maven uses java from
c:\windows\system32 which is the newest 1.6 jre :(

Thanks in advance.
Peter

Re: maven and java

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
There are different dimensions to this. Maven uses JAVA_HOME when executing.
But it is also possible to define, for instance, that the compilation of
your classes should use a different JDK. You do this by configuring the
maven-compiler-plugin like this:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/compile-using-different-jdk.html

You say you want to use Java 1.4 with Maven. Why/what for? Newer versions of
Maven (2.2.0+) requires Java 1.5. But there shouldn't be any problems using
a 1.4 JDK for the actual compilation, for example. You can also force a 1.5
JDK to produce 1.4 compiled code:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/set-compiler-source-and-target.html

Does this help?

/Anders