Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/22 18:13:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Including Features that Need Regular Updating?

Hello all,
I have a question regarding new Drill features.  I have two UDFs which I’ve been considering submitting but these UDFs will require regular updating.  The features in question are UDFs to do IP Geolocation and a User Agent Parser.  The IP geolocation is dependent on the MaxMind database and associated libraries.  Basically if it were to be included in Drill, every release we would have to update the MaxMind DB.  (This is done in many tools that rely on it for IP Geolocation)

The other is the user agent parser.   Likewise, the only updating it would need would be to update the pom.xml file to reflect the latest version of the UA parser.  These are both very useful features for security analysis but I wanted to ask the Drill developer community if this is something we wanted to consider.
— C

Re: [DISCUSS] Including Features that Need Regular Updating?

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure that library update should be included in the release process. On the contrary, I think it should be done via regular PR process. Of course, you always have to find a volunteer :)

Kind regards,
Arina

Posted by Arina Yelchiyeva <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Rudis <bo...@rud.is>.