Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2017/02/16 07:12:43 UTC

Proposal: deprecate the CommonCRS.UTM(…) method, replace by CommonCRS.universal(…)

Hello all

The CommonCRS convenience class has a UTM(double, double) method [1]
which makes easier to create a Universal Transverse Mercator projection
suitable for a given coordinate. However the current implementation does
not take in account the Norway and Svalbard special cases. Those special
cases exist for historical reasons and can be seen on the Wikimedia
image [2] at cells 31X, 33X, 35X, 37X and 32V. Since the
CommonCRS.UTM(double, double) method already expects (latitude,
longitude) arguments, we could update that method without API change.
However it would be a slightly incompatible change in behaviour.

Given that the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) projections are
completed by the Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS) projections at
latitudes north of 84�N and south of 80�S, I would like to generalize
the method by not only checking the UTM special cases (Norway and
Svalbard), but also by selecting automatically a UPS projection if
needed. But in such case the "UTM" method name would no longer be
appropriate. What about a new method named "universal(double, double)"
which would handle both UTM and UPS cases? If peoples agree with such
method, I would deprecate the current UTM method (with its behaviour
unchanged).

JIRA task is SIS-353 [3].

    Martin

[1] http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/sis/referencing/CommonCRS.html#UTM-double-double-