Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2004/07/12 16:42:12 UTC

Future Compatible Attributes

Attributes, or Meta Info, has been around in various libraries for a
while.  The first foray into it that I can recall was with none other
than the Phoenix code at Avalon.  That said, Java 1.5 has a version of
keeping meta info that has a slightly different syntax than any of the
dedicated libraries support.  If there is any way to use a library that
supports Java 1.5 meta info as it is declared and used, then our users
won't have to change when they use these attributes in their own code.
This is a very important point as changes to user code is far more
reaching than changes to our code.

I am only vaguely familiar with the offerings, but we now have a spec
for the Java 1.5 attributes.  Perhaps, if we have any control or
influence with a library, we can get them to support syntax that is
similar.

                 - Rich Cook

Re: Future Compatible Attributes

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Attributes, or Meta Info, has been around in various libraries for a
> while.  The first foray into it that I can recall was with none other
> than the Phoenix code at Avalon.  That said, Java 1.5 has a version of
> keeping meta info that has a slightly different syntax than any of the
> dedicated libraries support.  If there is any way to use a library that
> supports Java 1.5 meta info as it is declared and used, then our users
> won't have to change when they use these attributes in their own code.
> This is a very important point as changes to user code is far more
> reaching than changes to our code.
>
> I am only vaguely familiar with the offerings, but we now have a spec
> for the Java 1.5 attributes.  Perhaps, if we have any control or
> influence with a library, we can get them to support syntax that is
> similar.

Theres no stable released project that uses a jdk1.5-like
model for attributes (and only one semi-developed one). And
there is no direct compatibility that I am aware of (though
this may have changed in the last few months).

It would be a lot of work to adapt a toolkit that reads and
writes jdk1.5 attributes but I am not sure it will happen.
jdk1.5 is just too close.

Re: Future Compatible Attributes

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> I am only vaguely familiar with the offerings, but we now have a spec
>> for the Java 1.5 attributes.  Perhaps, if we have any control or
>> influence with a library, we can get them to support syntax that is
>> similar.
>

> MetaClass is written by PeterD and Mauro I think, and looking at the
> docs has a syntax that's rather similar to jdk 1.5. There's also
> commons-sandbox-attributes by Leo Sutic which I believe actually
> supports or will suport JDK 1.5 but it doesn't seem as mature nor do I
> think it offers all the things we need. We have meta stuff in xml; lets
> keep it there for now...
>
> - LSD, Known XML Critic

Actually, in Fortress there is no XML.  It is all properties files.

Berin, another XML Critic by experience

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.