Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Marcus Wilkinson <wi...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/05 20:46:15 UTC

Graceful Flex runtime errors

I wanted to raise awareness of this bug in the SDK:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33747

I have personally experienced this bug many times. An error occurs during
layout validation and my Flex application becomes unusable. This is because
other components do not respond to user interaction, and consequently
execution seems to stop. I understand that errors that would present this
problem should be fixed, but in my opinion the mantra of 'fail gracefully'
should be respected, and resolving this issue would be hugely beneficial
for the stability of Flex in general.

If you have experienced runtime errors in your app and other components
stop responding, then it is quite likely that fixing this bug will ensure
your application remains responsive. If you are interested please vote this
ticket up. I would like it fixed but like Mihai (the reporter) I really
don't know enough to do more than a hackey monkey patch on LayoutManager.

Marcus