Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk> on 2004/06/25 17:28:05 UTC

Tomcat won't expand cocoon.war

I've built my first application with cocoon (2.1.5) and it works fine
with Jetty.

So I did a ./build.sh war and copied the resulting cocoon.war to the
tomcat webapps directory.

When tomcat (4.1.27 - as installed from RPMs supplied with FC2) starts
up it issues messages to say it can't expand cocoon.war - specifically
it reports a java.io.FileNotFoundException for
/usr/share/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
(I'm typing this, not cutting and pasting).

I checked the cocoon.war with a jar tf cocoon.war command and it's in
there OK.

Have I missed out any steps (the Cocoon installation page
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html) doesn't mention
any tomcat as new as this.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: Tomcat won't expand cocoon.war

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Joerg> On 26.06.2004 06:17, Colin Paul Adams wrote: Building a
    Joerg> WAR, deploying it in webapps dir and solving the endorsed
    Joerg> libs problem should be sufficient for every Tomcat version.
    >> What's this problem then. I can't see it mentioned in
    >> install.txt.

    Joerg> I don't know. I never came across it and it's no FAQ. You
    Joerg> seem to attract all those "really rare problems" - or it's
    Joerg> just that Fedora Core is that bad :)

I don't think it is the latter - all my career I've had this tendency.

Many years ago, I used to sign myself bughunter, just for that
phenomenon.

anyway, I've switched to Jetty - it's happy.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 26.06.2004 06:17, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     Joerg> Building a WAR, deploying it in webapps
>     Joerg> dir and solving the endorsed libs problem should be
>     Joerg> sufficient for every Tomcat version.
>
> What's this problem then. I can't see it mentioned in install.txt.

I don't know. I never came across it and it's no FAQ. You seem to
attract all those "really rare problems" - or it's just that Fedora Core
is that bad :)

Joerg

Re: Tomcat won't expand cocoon.war

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Joerg> On 25.06.2004 17:28, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> So I did a ./build.sh war and copied the resulting cocoon.war
    >> to the tomcat webapps directory.

    Joerg> Absolutely correct.

    >> When tomcat (4.1.27 - as installed from RPMs supplied with FC2)
    >> starts up it issues messages to say it can't expand cocoon.war
    >> - specifically it reports a java.io.FileNotFoundException for
    >> /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/excalibur-logger-1.1.jar
    >> (I'm typing this, not cutting and pasting).  I checked the
    >> cocoon.war with a jar tf cocoon.war command and it's in there
    >> OK.

    Joerg> Really strange. I guess Tomcat reads the WAR's manifest
    Joerg> file and does not find a mentioned JAR. Can you assure that
    Joerg> it is exactly the correct spelling of the JAR's name?

Here is the extract from the tomcat log:

localhost.log:2004-06-25 15:15:37 HostConfig[localhost]: Expanding web application archive cocoon.war
localhost.log:2004-06-25 15:15:37 HostConfig[localhost] Exception while expanding web application archive cocoon.war
localhost.log:java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/excalibur-logger-1.1.jar (No such file or directory)

and here is the extract from a jar tf cocoon.war command:

Posted by Johnson <jo...@soho.club.tw>.
Hi!

In /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat
find the line ENSURE_WEBAPPS_WRITABLE
turn it to yes,and it will be extract it.

Best Regards

Johnson

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 25.06.2004 17:28, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

> So I did a ./build.sh war and copied the resulting cocoon.war to the
> tomcat webapps directory.

Absolutely correct.