Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ca...@dot.state.fl.us on 2006/06/15 13:52:49 UTC

Newbie - question about tld or dtd files

How can I place them locally?  In the office where I work, we have a fire
wall and I get connection error messages when I try to use www whatever in
my jsps or in other files.

Carrie Latimer
Florida's Turnpike Enterprise
Tolls Data Center
Main 561.488.5361
SC 247.5361
Fax 561.470.6615
Mobile: 561.239.6189
Nextel: 158*763*109
carrie.latimer@dot.state.fl.us

Re: Newbie - question about tld or dtd files

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/06, carrie.latimer@dot.state.fl.us
<ca...@dot.state.fl.us> wrote:
> How can I place them locally?  In the office where I work, we have a fire
> wall and I get connection error messages when I try to use www whatever in
> my jsps or in other files.

This is most likely a problem with a DOCTYPE declaration in one of
your XML config files.
A properly configured app should not be trying to connect to find
those resources.

You'll have to help us narrow it down, though... can you post the
exact error you're getting?

--
Wendy

Re: Newbie - question about tld or dtd files

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/06, Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> xyzzy.jsp:
> <%@ taglib uri="/tags/struts-bean" prefix="bean" %>
>
> web.xml:
>   <!-- Struts Tag Library Descriptors -->
>   <taglib>
>     <taglib-uri>/tags/struts-bean</taglib-uri>
>     <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld</taglib-location>
>   </taglib>
>
> Then place the actual tld file where the <taglib-location> element says it
> should be.

This is not necessary if you're using a Servlet 2.3 or later container
-- Tomcat 4 or 5, for example.  Most TLDs (including Struts) have a
URI (which, even though it may *look* like a URL, is not.)  For
example:

<taglib>
    <tlib-version>1.3</tlib-version>
    <jsp-version>1.2</jsp-version>
    <short-name>bean</short-name>
    <uri>http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean</uri>
Try that uri in a browser -- it doesn't exist.  Where it does exist is
in the struts-bean.tld file, inside struts.jar (or struts-taglib.jar
in 1.3).

Modern containers will discover tag library descriptors stored in jar
files, and you need only use the same uri in your taglib directive:

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean" prefix="bean" %>

No need to keep "loose" copies of the tlds in WEB-INF, which means one
less thing to deal with for deployment and upgrades.

Or, as Craig says... "It's magic. :-)"
 * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=104205482618830&w=2

HTH,
--
Wendy

RE: Newbie - question about tld or dtd files