Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2009/12/04 02:45:43 UTC

Rename "Boilerplater" to "Clownfish"

Greets,

Somebody just announced a "Boilerplate removal library" called "Boilerpipe" to
the Java Lucene lists, and that's spurred me to action on something that's
been lingering for a while.

The Lucy object model is supported by a suite of tools under the moniker
"Boilerplater", so named because it generates a bunch of boilerplate C code.
But "Boilerplater" is not a very distinctive or descriptive name.  It would be
nice to give it a better one, and it will be easier to change it now rather
than later.

If "OOPC" were available, we might use that.  But someone else thought of that
one long ago.  So, instead...

I propose "Clownfish".

Rationale: The killer feature of Lucy's OO system is its symbiotic
relationship with the "host" language.  The name "Clownfish" pays tribute to
that animal's symbiotic relationship with the sea anemone.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [Lucy] Rename "Boilerplater" to "Clownfish"

Posted by Nathan Kurz <na...@verse.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> "Clownfish" seems to be pretty much open.  There's a shareware game called
> "Clown Fish Adventure", a few screensavers, and a computer retailer called the
> "Clown Fish Web Shop" at <http://www.clown-fish.com/>, but nothing that really
> occupies the same mindspace.

Clownfish would be fine with me.  Or you could shorten and emphasize
the C more: Cfish.  There is a project that was using this for
"cuttlefish", but it seems defunct.   Or you could try to combine the
C and objects:: Cobble.  Nice sound, not taken, although debatable
whether the duct-taped overtones are good.

--nate

Re: [Lucy] Rename "Boilerplater" to "Clownfish"

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Peter Karman:

> Now we just need a movie called "Finding Lucy" ;)

I also considered "Nemo", but there's already the "Nemo File Manager":

    http://www.iola.dk/nemo/

;)

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 12/3/09 7:45 PM:

> I propose "Clownfish".
>
> Rationale: The killer feature of Lucy's OO system is its symbiotic
> relationship with the "host" language.  The name "Clownfish" pays tribute to
> that animal's symbiotic relationship with the sea anemone.

my kids would approve. Now we just need a movie called "Finding Lucy" ;)

Clownfish is fine with me. I won't mistake it for anything else, which is a good
thing in a name.