Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> on 2010/12/02 01:02:35 UTC

Re: Misguided energy

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 16:17 -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Challenge-Response systems are evil.  I never reply to challenges and I
> typically blacklist systems that send them.

Personally, I have *never* received a legit C/R. Every single one that
ended up on my machines have been in response to spam sent with a forged
sender address.

Hardly distinguishable from backscatter. And in fact, all samples I have
are dating back from times when certain addresses have received quite a
lot of that blow-back spam.

> There's a fundamental economic principle at play: If you make it harder
> for spammers to send spam, then you make it less convenient to send email
> to someone you've never written to before.  There is simply no way around
> that.
>
> Rather than destroying email (its killer feature is *precisely* the
> ability to dash off a note to someone new) by making it harder to send
> spam, viable anti-spam solutions make it less likely that spam will be
> received.  Yes, this is costly and annoying, but it's the price we pay
> for the convenience of email.

Very true, David. Spam filtering helps. Which, coincidentally, probably
is what we all are here for. ;)

Both, backscatter as well as C/R as a specific form of backscatter [1]
are evil. I have refused to answer questions on this very list before,
when it became obvious the OP uses or considers C/R -- unless he thought
about that a second time. I will continue to do so.

[1] Its stated purpose is to reduce spam, by sending out a challenge to
    legit first-time senders -- as well as forged addresses, mind you!
    That is *deliberately* spamming [2] innocent bystanders.

[2] I don't use that term lightly. Anyone who has sufficient knowledge
    of the problem to create such beast, also knows about address
    forgery. He knows, he turns the recipient's problem into a
    bystander's problem.

Re: Misguided energy

Posted by John Wilcock <jo...@tradoc.fr>.
Le 02/12/2010 01:02, Karsten Bräckelmann a écrit :
> Personally, I have *never* received a legit C/R. Every single one that
> ended up on my machines have been in response to spam sent with a forged
> sender address.

I wish I could say the same - at work we have at least a dozen clients
who use challenge/response, and when it's for business you can't just
ignore the challenges, let alone blacklist your clients.

Mailinblack in particular seem to have been quite successful in selling
their C/R system to companies here in France... who seem to have totally
overlooked the very real business risk of other anti-spam systems
classifying their challenges as spam.

John.

--
-- Over 4000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr

Re: Misguided energy

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.

@putercom.com

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: Misguided energy

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 20:38 -0500, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> On 12/1/10 7:02 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > Personally, I have *never* received a legit C/R. Every single one that
> > ended up on my machines have been in response to spam sent with a forged
> > sender address.
>
> I had a legit one.
>
> I was stupid enough to answer a question on this list directly to a poster.
>
> Guess what? I got a CR.

I would have appreciated to know about that. In particular, considering
what this list is about. If not publicly shaming, lest so I won't
contribute to such behavior by answering.

> Guess what? luser got blacklisted.

Guess what? I can sympathize with that...

Re: Misguided energy

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.