Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/08/19 17:52:33 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2 - partial inclusion of uimaj sdk

The uimaFIT binary packaging has some, but not all, of the uimaj sdk jars,
included. (jars not included are: uima-adapter-soap, uima-document-annotation,
uima-examples, uimaj-bootstrap (used by the uimaj launching scripts), and
uima-tools (includes the CVD, document analyzer, etc.).  Other things missing
include the "config" directory (has the standard logging configurations), the
scripts in the bin directory, and eclipse plugins (for those who aren't using
the Eclipse Install mechanism)

I think this partial inclusion of some of the uimaj sdk jars has the potential
to confuse a new user of uimaFIT, who may think it comes bundled with UIMA Java
SDK.  I think a short description of this should be in the README, or
preferably, either include all of uimaj sdk, or none of it.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2 - partial inclusion of uimaj sdk

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 19.08.2013 18:17, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> I have wondered for some time if a binary release makes sense for uimaFIT at all.
> uimaFIT 1.4.x included a binary release as convenience for those people that do
> not use Maven. The idea was to provide them with all the libraries that uimaFIT
> needs to run, so they do not have to chase them down on the web. The purpose
> of the uimaFIT binary release is therefore quite different from that of the
> UIMA SDK or of UIMA-AS. uimaFIT is a (set of) libraries, not an application
> or tool.
>
> A note in the README is easily added. But I would not want to add more from
> the standard UIMA SDK release. Rather, I'd completely forego the binary release
> and just distribute uimaFIT via Maven. After all, there doesn't seem to be a
> binary release or zipped update site for Ruta either.

I am waiting until someone complains. If nobody needs binary release,
there won't be one.

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
I added a note to the README file:

uimaFIT is a part of the Apache UIMA(TM) project. uimaFIT can only be used in conjunction with
a compatible version of the Java version of the Apache UIMA SDK. For your convenience, the binary
distribution package of uimaFIT includes all libraries necessary to use uimaFIT. In particular for
novice users, it is strongly advised to obtain a copy of the full UIMA SDK separately.