Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by George Ronkin <gr...@nerdvana.com> on 2001/04/20 04:12:07 UTC

Re: having separate blocks for protocol servers

hbedi@yahoo.com said:
> I am planning to add different xinfo files for protocol servers in the
> next few days. Please let me know if there are some issues or
> concerns. Basically protocol servers(POP, SMTP, NNTP, IMAP) would be
> loaded via assembly.xml not via James.

Hi,
	Such a cleanup would help me considerably.  My existing Java
application analyzes email message content, and constructs a hierarchical
clustering.  Each cluster of similar messages is presented as a Folder
to JavaMail API clients.  If I can present my virtual Folders as
ACLMailbox implementations, then any IMAP client would be able to
browse the clusters.
	The JAMES IMAP implementation itself isn't yet complete - I'll
have to get at least minimal implementations of APPEND and COPY working
in SingleThreadedConnectionHandler, for instance.  I have to implement
UIDFolder in my Folders as well for any sort of Folder-as-ACLMailbox
class to work.
	(I've digressed a bit to explain that, yes, I really do want
to hook up the IMAP server as a client to a JavaMail provider Store/Folder.
I know that sounds totally backwards at first..)  My point here is
only that protocol server configurability, especially if it allows
specification of alternative ACLMailbox implementations in a way
loosely resembling how repositories are handled, and removes
the implementation class specific (e.g., FileMailbox) usage in
JamesHost, would really help me out here..  (And does seem a lot
cleaner..)
	Thanks much,
--
	George Ronkin

Re: having separate blocks for protocol servers

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <hb...@yahoo.com>.
> Such a cleanup would help me considerably.

And your work would help me considerably. :-)
Hope we do a good job at it.

Not too familar with IMAP, but hope to get more familar with it soon.
Harmeet