Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by "Chandramohan, Rajagopal" <Ra...@intuit.com> on 2009/01/22 00:56:27 UTC

Synapse Axis2 Dependency

Hi -

I downloaded and worked thru the examples that ship with the Synapse.  I
understand the packaged examples make use of Axi2 Server to host the
StockQuote service and use Axis2 clients to invoke the Proxy service
exposed via the Synapse ESB.

However I would appreciate if someone could explicitly make it clear if
there are any dependencies between Synapse as ESB  and the actual web
services stack on the client side and Service backend.

For example:

1.       Can the Web Service stack that hosts the actual service for
which Synapse esb provides Service delivery management/ Mediation be non
Axis2 (CXF or something else). Do people normally use Axis2 on the back
when they use Synapse (meaning there is safety in using Axis2 on back
end though other stacks are possible).

2.       If the backend is not Axis2, would I still be able to use
features such as WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Security and WS-Addressing as
demonstrated in the example provided the backend service end point
supports these standards. Any gotchas?

3.       Can the Web Service Client that consumes Synapse ESB be based
on non-Axis2 based or is there some interoperability issues that require
use of Axis2 client/ generation etc. For example the Axis2
ServiceClient.fireAndForget() API use for one way messaging.

4.       Has anyone tried running Synapse on anything other than Tomcat
container (just curious).

5.       Any info on constraints and limitations because of reliance on
Apache Rampart for Web Services security, Apache  Kandula2 for WS
transactions (I am not sure there any examples on this) & Apache
Sandesha2 for WS Reliable messaging implementation  etc.

So far from what I have seen Synapse looks great. Thanks for your help.

Raj

Re: Synapse Axis2 Dependency

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Asankha C. Perera <as...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Raj
>
>> Regarding Tomcat, when I start the WSO2-ESB it starts an embedded Tomcat
>> server. I assumed the Synapse did so too and runs as a servlet in Tomcat
>> and relied on Tomcat container for features such as clustering.
>>
> No.. support for clustering is provided by Axis2 clustering support (which
> relies on some Tomcat stuff AFAIK)

To be more specific it doesn't rely on tomcat but on tribes as the
underlying group communication framework, but you can get the axis2/synapse
clustering support on any of the servlet containers through axis2...

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"

Re: Synapse Axis2 Dependency

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Raj

Posted by "Chandramohan, Rajagopal" <Ra...@intuit.com>.
Hi Asanka -

Thanks for the prompt clarifications.

Regarding Tomcat, when I start the WSO2-ESB it starts an embedded Tomcat
server. I assumed the Synapse did so too and runs as a servlet in Tomcat
and relied on Tomcat container for features such as clustering. Please
correct me if I am wrong here.

Yes we do like the fact Synapse uses NIO out of the box.

Thanks

Raj

> 1.       Can the Web Service stack that hosts the actual service for
> which Synapse esb provides Service delivery management/ Mediation be
non
> Axis2 (CXF or something else).
Yes, definitely! It can be CXF, .Net, PHP.. etc
>  Do people normally use Axis2 on the back
> when they use Synapse (meaning there is safety in using Axis2 on back
> end though other stacks are possible).

Yes, and no.. some even use Synapse to mediate between SOAP / Hessian /
JMS / POX etc..
> 2.       If the backend is not Axis2, would I still be able to use
> features such as WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Security and WS-Addressing
as
> demonstrated in the example provided the backend service end point
> supports these standards.
Yes
> Any gotchas?

This would be if the different implementations implement the standards
slightly differently - which though not common is sometimes there.. next

is if the implementations have bugs in them..
> 3.       Can the Web Service Client that consumes Synapse ESB be based
> on non-Axis2 based
Yes, definitely!
>  or is there some interoperability issues that require
> use of Axis2 client/ generation etc. For example the Axis2
> ServiceClient.fireAndForget() API use for one way messaging.

Not any I am aware of..
> 4.       Has anyone tried running Synapse on anything other than
Tomcat
> container (just curious).

Many run Synapse standalone most of the time.. There is no added benefit

on running it as a WAR on a JEE servlet container, as we use our own
high performance non-blocking http/s transports
> 5.       Any info on constraints and limitations because of reliance
on
> Apache Rampart for Web Services security,
Nothing I am aware of..
> Apache  Kandula2 for WS transactions (I am not sure there any examples
on this)
No we do not rely on this, or have tested against this
>  & Apache Sandesha2 for WS Reliable messaging implementation  etc.

There have been a few issues with RM in the past.. so its good to test
it, especially with persistence etc
> So far from what I have seen Synapse looks great.

Good to hear! and hope it will be useful to you

cheers
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Synapse Axis2 Dependency

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Raj
> 1.       Can the Web Service stack that hosts the actual service for
> which Synapse esb provides Service delivery management/ Mediation be non
> Axis2 (CXF or something else).
Yes, definitely! It can be CXF, .Net, PHP.. etc
>  Do people normally use Axis2 on the back
> when they use Synapse (meaning there is safety in using Axis2 on back
> end though other stacks are possible).

Yes, and no.. some even use Synapse to mediate between SOAP / Hessian /
JMS / POX etc..
> 2.       If the backend is not Axis2, would I still be able to use
> features such as WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Security and WS-Addressing as
> demonstrated in the example provided the backend service end point
> supports these standards.
Yes
> Any gotchas?

This would be if the different implementations implement the standards
slightly differently - which though not common is sometimes there.. next
is if the implementations have bugs in them..
> 3.       Can the Web Service Client that consumes Synapse ESB be based
> on non-Axis2 based
Yes, definitely!