Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by ma...@radium.jvb.tudelft.nl on 2001/11/30 13:28:00 UTC

Installation problem

Hi,
I'm trying to install the latest version of cocoon (1.8.2) with tomcat 3.3
running under Windows XP with JDK 1.3.1, and I'm running into an error.  I
follow the installation instructions to the letter, and then, when I try to
load the Cocoon.xml page, I get a NoClassDefFoundError saying it can't find
org/w3c/dom/Node.class.  I've tracked this file to xml.jar, which is in the
tomcat/lib/apps directory, just like all the other cocoon jars, so it's
definitely there, it's just not being found for some reason.  Anybody got any
ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Maarten Dirkse.

Re: Installation problem

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.
To be more precise, and quoting from the installation instructions:

Instead, a hack which some people have found to work is (in the case of
Tomcat 3.2) renaming xml.jar as zxml.jar and parser.jar as zparser.jar. For
other versions try renaming crimson.jar.

Also, as Max suggested, you may want to consider upgrading to Cocoon 2.

HTH,
Carlos

--
Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer

email               carlos@cvc.edu
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

Paradoxically, a refusal to 'put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.
-- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach

RE: Installation problem

Posted by Max Larsson <ma...@gmservice.de>.
Hi,

if you are not fiex to cocoon 1 i would suggest
to gte the latest version vom cocoon 2.0. It is
much somther to install. And if you don't depend
on Tomcat 3, install instead Tomcat 4. Than is the
cocoon installation apiece of cake. YOu just has to
drop the cocoon.war file contained in the cocoon
zip archive into the webapps folder of tomcat and
restart tomcat.
If you are fixed to Tomcat 3 and cocoon1 the
prolem is all i still know has to do something
with the xml parser xerces from cocoon interfering
with the oine from tomcat. This issue is described
in the FAQ (at least i think so).

HTH

Max