Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ian Danforth <id...@numenta.com> on 2011/08/16 03:08:07 UTC

Max heap not sticking?

All,

 When I connect to a node through jconsole it's telling me that my max heap
is only 1.7gb. (eg http://screencast.com/t/7DP8ovdUv) However I believe I
have properly specified that it should be 4GB in cassandra-env.sh. Total
memory is 7.5GB

 I see greatly increased GC activity as the heap approaches 1.7GB.

Can anyone suggest why the heap might not use all the memory as specified?

Ian

>From cassandra-env.sh

MAX_HEAP_SIZE="4096M"
HEAP_NEWSIZE="400M"

JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Xms${MAX_HEAP_SIZE}"
JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Xmx${MAX_HEAP_SIZE}"
JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Xmn${HEAP_NEWSIZE}"

Re: Max heap not sticking?

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Ian did you sort this out ?

What values do you see passed in when you run ps aux | grep cassandra ?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton