Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/08/13 06:37:24 UTC

[mp2] bugs in ...

Hopefully Philippe will be back soon. Here is something to keep him busy :)

1)

Perl sections don't trap errors, the following code doesn't kill the startup
process (the error is logged)

<Perl >
use Foo::Bar::Car;
</Perl>

2)

Not sure if this is a bug or not (probably not), but it'd be nice to be able
to write one liners:

<Perl >1;</Perl>

However, the bug is in the fact that even though we get the error:

Syntax error on line 1621 of /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/httpd.conf:
invalid args spec: >1;</Perl
Syntax error on line 1621 of /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/httpd.conf:
invalid args spec: >1;</Perl

server starts nevertheless, and it shouldn't.

I think we could add tests for these things using .htaccess files (which
aren't quite supported by the perl sections, right?). We can't quite test them
at the server startup.

Re: [mp2] bugs in ...

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Hopefully Philippe will be back soon. Here is something to keep him busy :)
>
> 1)
>
> Perl sections don't trap errors, the following code doesn't kill the
> startup process (the error is logged)
>
> <Perl >
> use Foo::Bar::Car;
> </Perl>
>
> 2)
>
> Not sure if this is a bug or not (probably not), but it'd be nice to be
> able to write one liners:
>
> <Perl >1;</Perl>

I'm not sure if that's legal Apache syntax.  are you sure Apache knows how
to parse closing directives when on the same line?

> However, the bug is in the fact that even though we get the error:
>
> Syntax error on line 1621 of /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/httpd.conf:
> invalid args spec: >1;</Perl
> Syntax error on line 1621 of /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/httpd.conf:
> invalid args spec: >1;</Perl
>
> server starts nevertheless, and it shouldn't.

indeed.

I'll take a look at these unless philippe beats me to it - he's the expert here.

> I think we could add tests for these things using .htaccess files (which
> aren't quite supported by the perl sections, right?). We can't quite
> test them at the server startup.

this is a larger issue

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=105370080722053&w=2

re:

"However doing this via proposed MP_CMD_DIR_TAKE1 doesn't seem right. We
need to add .htaccess, but not change the SRV directives to DIR."

in the final post. as far as I know, there is no way to distinguish between
.htaccess files and <Location>, etc via overrides.  that is, there is no
combination of RSRC_CONF, OR_OPTIONS, etc that will allow for .htaccess
placement but not containers.

--Geoff