Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/12/10 17:13:07 UTC

Sending to user@[ip] address

Randy,

The mail client sent the wrong data.  You sent user@[24.240.241.4]>, but
look what the mail client provided to james:

10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT TO:<user>
10/12/02 09:44:18 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Recipient <us...@localhost> OK

James was only given <user>, and so it added the @localhost.  OK, now we
know that james never receives the proper address.  The question is why the
mail client didn't send the address as you provided it.  What e-mail client?

	--- Noel

Re: Sending to user@[ip] address

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,

You are correct about not having localhost configured as a servername.

You are incorrect about the machine the emails are being sent from. They are
coming from a machine other than the server but on the same LAN. The emails
have also been sent through my ISP email account, James had nothing to do
with the outbound emails.

--randy

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,

Thanks. I was always bugged by this little oddity. The funny thing is that
it was the overall unreliability of my ISPs mail server that sent me in
search of my own server in the first place...James is good....me like
James....

Oh, I can't recall if I've mentioned this before but I really appreciate all
of the help, suggestions, and advice that I've recieved from Danny, Peter,
and you over the past several months.

Happy Holidays,
Randy

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Doesn't help me with the b**** university postmasters though, they were adamant that they weren't going to allow @[ip] through their outgoing gateway, but frankly I think its laziness more than a reasonable excuse.

RE: Sending to user@[ip] address

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randy,

Danny wrote:
> I've come across at least one SMTP<->ARPA gateway which didn't,
> citing the rfc's recommendation that literals only ever be
> used as a temporary measure as a reason for not supporting them.

AFAIK, RFC 2821 is the most recent that would effect that functionality.
Section 4.1.3 says "Sometimes a host is not known to the domain name system
and communication (and, in particular, communication to report and repair
the error) is blocked.  To bypass this barrier a special literal form of the
address is allowed as an alternative to a domain name."

In any event, the MTA is delivering the e-mail based upon the
address-literal, so they are partially honoring it.  The problem is that
they are also corrupting the address by removing the address-literal.

	--- Noel

This was the response I got from cgp-support.
Outlook Express won't even consider letting me send an email to a recipient
formed like cgp's suggestions. Their first suggestion is really stupid, if I
knew the domain name why would I want to add the IP?

*****************************

******************************

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,
Netscape 6.2 did the same thing..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011019
Netscape6/6.2

with SMTP AUTH on the sender recieved Auth Required error.
with SMTP AUTH off the message fell through to the ALL matcher

10/12/02 10:29:08 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT TO:<user>
10/12/02 10:29:08 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 250 Recipient <us...@localhost> OK

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
Noel,
The other user is me and i have been using a different macine on the LAN.
Also haven't been using James to send the message, I've been using my isp
account......

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randy,

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.