Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Francis ANDRE <fr...@easynet.fr> on 2008/03/28 16:45:44 UTC

[general][build][WXP] updated msvc_2003 solution

Hi Harmonists

I have updated the msvc_2003 project with the new organization of the working_vm
directories.

The changes have been extracted from a log running ant -d rebuild, and both the
release and debug configurations are compiling, linking and copying to the
jre/bin/default directory.

As you can view in the svn diff pathc.txt, there is a new 'ch' project and a new
'port' project while the port_encoder has been renamed to encoder to reflect the
source organization. This results in 3 new directories 'ch', 'encoder' and
'port' and one removed 'port_encoder' under msvc_2003.

I would like to put this in the svn repository replacing the
current one which is out of date. How could I proceed without a write access to
the svn repository??

Also, IMO, it would be an added value for the msvc environment to use the
a tool from workspacewhiz at:
http://www.workspacewhiz.com/SolutionBuildEnvironmentReadme.html

This tool allows a separate definition of global variable and path (like global
DEFINES) for a specific solution and would help in making the sln and vcproj
files more independent from the organization of the source directories.

Francis

Re: [general][build][WXP] updated msvc_2003 solution

Posted by Francis ANDRE <fr...@easynet.fr>.
Gregory

 > The problem with MSVC solutions is that they don't work out of the box
 > for VM. There are several reasons, one of them is that ant build creates
 > APR and LOG4CXX binaries from sources. MSVC solution doesn't include
May be it would be also useful to add an apr project, an apr-util project and a
log4cxx project based on the output of the ant -d build execution??

 > them. Possibly if we get rid of APR and LOG4CXX one day, we'll be able
 > to create a fully functional solution for VM.
For getting rid of APR and LOG4CXX, may be it would be interesting to look would
to look after the PoCo packages. It is a free open source C++ portable
components libraries set which is portable on most standard Unix/Linux platform
as well as Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/poco

It has a smaller footprint than boost or the free Roguewave APR libraries and
provide a coherent set of functionalities (both in the system and non system areas).

Francis

Posted by Francis ANDRE <fr...@easynet.fr>.
Gregory

 > The problem with MSVC solutions is that they don't work out of the box
 > for VM. There are several reasons, one of them is that ant build creates
 > APR and LOG4CXX binaries from sources. MSVC solution doesn't include
May be it would be also useful to add an apr project, an apr-util project and a
log4cxx project based on the output of the ant -d build execution??

 > them. Possibly if we get rid of APR and LOG4CXX one day, we'll be able
 > to create a fully functional solution for VM.
For getting rid of APR and LOG4CXX, may be it would be interesting to look would
to look after the PoCo packages. It is a free open source C++ portable
components libraries set which is portable on most standard Unix/Linux platform
as well as Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/poco

It has a smaller footprint than boost or others available open source C++

Posted by Francis ANDRE <fr...@easynet.fr>.
Gregory

 > The problem with MSVC solutions is that they don't work out of the box
 > for VM. There are several reasons, one of them is that ant build creates
 > APR and LOG4CXX binaries from sources. MSVC solution doesn't include
May be it would be also useful to add an apr project, an apr-util project and a
log4cxx project based on the output of the ant -d build execution??

 > them. Possibly if we get rid of APR and LOG4CXX one day, we'll be able
 > to create a fully functional solution for VM.
For getting rid of APR and LOG4CXX, I would recommend to look seriously to the

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.

--
Gregory