Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/17 17:59:58 UTC

[C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Carsten, Giacomo,

Any reason not to?

Thanks,
dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

Re: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Santiago,

Will look into it. So far we have not implemented Cacheable for ResourceReaders.

Thanks,
dims

=====

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Santiago Gala wrote:

> > Santiago,
> > Have fixed the problem. Can you please try it out? Now the checks take into account the request
> > params also.
> >

> Tried. It works.
>

> > Does anyone else see any other problems?
> >

> For the sake of completeness :), I had already observed (and it is still
> there) the following traces regarding css files (both in jakarta site
> and here in slides.
>
> I expected that the css should not be modified, but the trace says it
> has every time I fetch it. :-?

i also experience this behavior with the ResourceReader.

- donald

Re: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Santiago,
> Have fixed the problem. Can you please try it out? Now the checks take into account the request
> params also.

Tried. It works.

> Does anyone else see any other problems?

For the sake of completeness :), I had already observed (and it is still
there) the following traces regarding css files (both in jakarta site
and here in slides.

I expected that the css should not be modified, but the trace says it
has every time I fetch it. :-?

DEBUG   20290   [cocoon  ] (Thread-20): Changing Cocoon context(sitemap.xmap) to prefix()
DEBUG   20290   [cocoon  ] (Thread-20):         from context(file:/usr/share/jakarta/dist/tomcat/webapps/c2/) and prefix()
DEBUG   20290   [cocoon  ] (Thread-20):         at URI slides/style
DEBUG   20291   [cocoon  ] (Thread-20): New context is file:/usr/share/jakarta/dist/tomcat/webapps/c2/

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Santiago,

=====

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Giacomo,
>
> The parameters from sitemap and parameters from request have been in the TraxTransformer since day
> one :) Yes, i will cook you up a "Pure" TraxTransformer tomorrow.

Yes I know and thus have proposed to have one without anything because
I and others I know never ever used them.

Giacomo

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Giacomo,

=====

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Donald Ball wrote:

> > > I don't know other people, but I'm seeing that the slides sample always
> > > returns section=1, i.e. the checks do not take into account the request
> > > parameters. Anybody else sees this?
> >
> > I haven't checked the slides.
> >
> > BTW: Can anybody release a PureTraxTransformer without any unnecessary
> > Parameter, Request or what ever? I really like to have a simple one
> > doing just what it suppose to do.
>
> i thought we were still discussing if the TraxTransformer should be
> parameterized or not...

It is already populated with request.parameters and thus you can put in
what you want as long as we have a Pure- or SimpleTraxTransformer
without any additionals.

Giacomo

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: AW: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:

> >> No real objection from me - the only problem I see right now might
> >> be the memory consumption of the cache as nearly every request
> >> is cached in memory.
> >

> > Well, it's a component. We can later on write a more sophisticated
> Store to use.
> > There has been a contribution from a Austrian guy (Froehlich ?) for a
> MRUStore
> > recently. Maybe this component can be configured to limit the storage
> used. Has
> > anybody had a look at it (sorry to that guy if we have not take it so
> far into
> > consideration, but you've seen we are working very hard on different
> frontiers
> > :)
> >
> > A possible final solution could be a Store that keeps frequently used
> cache
> > object in memory an swaps out others to the file system.
> >

> We are considering the Cocoon2 store as a portlet cache for Jetspeed.
> Some time ago we used the Cocoon1 store for this purpose. Currently we
> are using the Turbine cache, but I like a lot Stefano's proposal (which
> I think will be eventually in here) and the key algorithm.
>
> Currently, the String operations involved in constructing jetspeed's
> keys and checking for equality is contributing a substantial runtime
> overhead to us. So the key approach would also be welcome.
>
> We have a different cache (urlmanager) which could benefit Cocoon,
> specially when news syndication come into play. I am currently
> implementing it afresh, as the current code base is ugly and messy. This
>
> cache takes care of storing external resources in disk.
>
> I have been playing with the idea of having a multilevel disk and memory
>
> cache, one that would keep used urls in memory, while having the rest on
>
> disk. The same could be applied to other (serializable) objects.
>
> I will definitely give a look to this code.
>
> Do you know if I could use the store without heavy dependencies? which
> dependencies (jars, config files) would I need?

Well, IIRC the interface used is the org.apache.cocoon.components.store.Store.
There are currently two implementation MemoryStore and FilesystemStore (I don't
know the details). As they are Avalon components specified in the cocoon.xconf
file they can be configured at will.

And, yes, a independant and adaptive Object Store for C2 will be very welcome.

Giacomo

Re: AW: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
hi,
how about a bottle of champagne for this event :-).

cu
gerhard
> Gerhard,
> News for you. You code has been ported into C2 :)
>
> Thanks,
> dims
>
> --- Gerhard_Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > > Well, it's a component. We can later on write a more sophisticated
Store
> > to use.
> > > There has been a contribution from a Austrian guy (Froehlich ?) for a
> > MRUStore
> > > recently. Maybe this component can be configured to limit the storage
> > used. Has
> > > anybody had a look at it (sorry to that guy if we have not take it so
far
> > into
> > > consideration, but you've seen we are working very hard on different
> > frontiers
> > > :)
> > I'm still there and watching cocoon growing :-). You dont' t have to
> > apologize . It's always hard to get involved in so large projects and I
have
> > to do a lot of work at business, too.
> > Yes my component is configurable. Currently in two ways:
> > * The cached objects have a configurable "lifecycle". If the "lifecycle"
of
> > a  object is over, it "dies".
> > * Also could the number of objects in the cache be limited. If the Limit
is
> > reached the last object in the cache will be removed.
> > * there are also lot other possibilities, like combination of some
caching
> > rules (like LFU / MRU) and so on.
> > My solution is a combination between a LinkedList and a HashMap. Both
are
> > JDK1.2 > components.
> > > A possible final solution could be a Store that keeps frequently used
> > cache
> > > object in memory an swaps out others to the file system.
> > Sounds good. Mhhhh... maybe a solution like Squid or something else. I
will
> > keep an eye on this proposal.
> >
> > In the mean time, I try to get an overview over cocoon and cocoon2 :-)
and I

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Gerhard,

=====

Posted by Gerhard Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
>> > A possible final solution could be a Store that keeps frequently used
cache
>> > object in memory an swaps out others to the file system.
>> Sounds good. Mhhhh... maybe a solution like Squid or something else. I
will
>> keep an eye on this proposal.
>Would be cool. Can I assign your name with this issue into the todo list
>:) ?
yes, of course.
>> In the mean time, I try to get an overview over cocoon and cocoon2 :-)
and I
>> hope I can support in the nearer future...
>Good luck.
>> PS: my name is Gerhard Froehlich and I'm a German guy, living and working
in
>> vienna :-)
>I wasn't too wrong by name and country :)
Not really, it's quit the same. The only different are the higher mountains.

cheers
Gerhard

Re: AW: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerhard Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
> > Carsten, Giacomo,
> >
> > Any reason not to?
>
> I have no objection so far.

No real objection from me - the only problem I see right now might
be the memory consumption of the cache as nearly every request
is cached in memory.

Carsten

Re: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Carsten, Giacomo,
>
> Any reason not to?

I have no objection so far.

Giacomo