Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/06/24 02:45:03 UTC

Re: apache-nspr-08

>http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/apache/2.0/apache-nspr-08.tar.gz
>
>I've been too swamped to do much lately.  The main reason for this update
>is to patch the code from 1.3b8-dev to 1.3.1-dev... which was pretty
>annoying because of all the formatting changes that have gone on.  It's
>probably about time to get this into CVS... along with a copy of NSPR so
>that it's easier for folks to use.

I was thinking the same thing.  I didn't even know it existed until I
went through the archives today.

Was that a plea for someone else to do it?  I could try tomorrow.

Actually, I was thinking that not having an open sandbox seems to
keep people from playing where others can easily reach.  Wouldn't
it be nice if we had an apache-sandbox repository with subdirectories
for interesting things that several people want to look at and fool
around with, but which doesn't have the implication of a point release?

....Roy [summer is here]

mod_snmp for Apache 1.3

Posted by Harrie Hazewinkel <ha...@jrc.it>.
HI all,

I have changed the 'mod_snmp'-package, SNMP module for Apache,
in order to get it running with Apache 1.3.0.

For those who are interested, you can retrieved it from
http://sikorsky.ceo.sai.jrc.it/~harrie/software/mod_snmp_1.3.x.tar.gz

More info can be found at:
http://sikorsky.ceo.sai.jrc.it/~harrie/software/mod_snmp_1.3/index.html

Let me know if there are any problems or suggestions.

HA HA
0- Harrie Hazewinkel --------------------------------------0
 mailto:harrie.hazewinkel@jrc.it       phone:+39+0332786322
 http://sikorsky.ceo.sai.jrc.it/~harrie/ fax:+39+0332785641
 postal: JRC of the E.C.  -  CEO  -  Ispra 21020 (VA) Italy
0----------------------------------------------------------0
  Ik ben Harrie en ik ben 28 jaar en doe SNMP na. MIB, MIB

Re: apache-nspr-08

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
At 06:17 PM 6/23/98 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>No I'd like to do it.  I just haven't been sure where -- presumably under
>apache-2.0.

Yep, definitely there.  If you want to be cautious you might create an
"nspr-port" directory for the whole of your code, allowing for the
possibility of other possibilities, though at this time there don't seem to
be many.

>> Actually, I was thinking that not having an open sandbox seems to
>> keep people from playing where others can easily reach.  Wouldn't
>> it be nice if we had an apache-sandbox repository with subdirectories
>> for interesting things that several people want to look at and fool
>> around with, but which doesn't have the implication of a point release?
>
>That's somewhat how we've treated apache-2.0 so far... we can just start
>creating directories under there.

Yep, +1.

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: apache-nspr-08

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/apache/2.0/apache-nspr-08.tar.gz
> >
> >I've been too swamped to do much lately.  The main reason for this update
> >is to patch the code from 1.3b8-dev to 1.3.1-dev... which was pretty
> >annoying because of all the formatting changes that have gone on.  It's
> >probably about time to get this into CVS... along with a copy of NSPR so
> >that it's easier for folks to use.
>
> I was thinking the same thing.  I didn't even know it existed until I
> went through the archives today.
>
> Was that a plea for someone else to do it?  I could try tomorrow.
>
> Actually, I was thinking that not having an open sandbox seems to
> keep people from playing where others can easily reach.  Wouldn't
> it be nice if we had an apache-sandbox repository with subdirectories
> for interesting things that several people want to look at and fool
> around with, but which doesn't have the implication of a point release?

Yes, that's a cool idea.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/

Re: apache-nspr-08

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Lemme get this straight... I start playing in apache-sandbox.  Then months
> later we say "duh, this is far enough along we should move it to
> apache-2.0". So um, how does Roy's suggestion avoid a name change/reorg?
> :)

I think what Roy's getting at is this: Right now, you're playing with your
neat new toys on a private machine, and posting snapshots every once in a
while. At some point, when you (or someone else) feels they're ready and
good, they may go into the mainline Apache repository. At that point,
there will be reorgnization and new code and changes no matter what.

But if you do your playing in apache-sandbox/dgaudet (and I think Roy's
suggestion that mail not be enabled for apache-sandbox is a good one),
then it's easy for the rest of us to look at your code at any point we
want, without you having to take the effor to tar it up and convince us to
download it; a cvs update will get it to us. And we can add code, too,
without it being a mess (although there should be rules about not
playing in someone's corner of the sandbox without asking them first). And
if it's decided to merge the files into apache-X.Y, we can keep history
information about them from before they were merged into the project.

It also lets you (or me, rather - this is something I was thinking about
earlier) develop on more than one machine, since apache-sandbox can be
checked out anywhere, not just on one machine.

Anyhow, just some ramblings. I think an apache-sandbox would be a good
idea.

P.S. It would also keep everyone's toys around forever. e.g., if rst had
kept apache-XX in apache-sandbox, and we wanted to go see how various
versions of his code did things, we wouldn't have to track down
two-year-old code that one of us might have saved from personal
communication with rst. It would just be there for us to look at
(copyright and privacy issues notwithstanding).

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Re: apache-nspr-08

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Re: apache-nspr-08

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hmmm ... that will necessitate a name change/reorg later. Probably
> better to go with Roy's sandbox suggestion, which will last forever
> (ish).

+1

#ken	P-)}

Re: apache-nspr-08