Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ahmad, Kashif" <Ka...@Artesia.com> on 2003/05/14 16:22:40 UTC

High CPU usage by Tomcat 4.0.4 in while idle

Hi,

We have an web application running using Tomcat 4.0.4 using Sun JDK 1.3.1_08
with Apache 2.0.43 on Solaris 8.  We are stating up the catalina java
process with the following memory variable: -Xss2m -Xmx128m.  On initial
start-up, the java process running the tomcat/catalina server spike to about
18% CPU usage for about 1 1/2 minutes.  Then the usage lowers to about 0.74%
over the next thirty seconds.

When we run a load test simulating users (say about 50) , the CPU usage will
spike to about 40% CPU usage.  After the load test, Tomcat only returns to a
CPU usage level of 15-30% and never drops below.  Originally we thought that
java process was undergoing garbage collection, but the high CPU usage stays
there indefinitely (at least the 48 hours we've been monitoring).

Any ideas on what might be causing such high CPU usage during idle time for
tomcat.

Thanks

Kashif Ahmad