Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Jens X Augustsson <je...@lbsoft.se> on 2005/03/22 19:22:06 UTC

ApplicationRuntimeException when constructing HiveMind registry in JBoss

Hi,

I cannot deploy my HiveMind 1.0 WAR application in clean JBoss 4.0.1
installation. It runs nicely in Tomcat 5.0.x standalone containers, but when
deploying the same WAR file in JBoss the HiveMind registry cannot be
constructed. I'm building the registry using the servlet filer. I assume it
has something to do with Javassist, and have also tried supplying
javassist-2- 6.jar in the WAR, but it did not help. All my supporting
libraries are in the WAR file.

Has anyone had to do any special tweaking to make it work in JBoss? My
stacktrace is supplied below.

Thank you,

Jens

...using Java 1.4.2

19:20:40,006 INFO  [HiveMindFilter] Constructing HiveMind Registry.
19:20:40,287 ERROR [HiveMindFilter] Unable to create class
$SingletonProxy_102cb7eb615_0:
javassist.ClassPool.write(Ljava/lang/String;)[B
org.apache.hivemind.ApplicationRuntimeException: Unable to create class
$SingletonProxy_102cb7eb615_0: javassist.ClassPool.write(Ljava/lang/
String;)[B
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.createSingletonP
roxy(SingletonServiceModel.java:114)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.getService(Singl
etonServiceModel.java:58)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:1
71)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:1
84)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryImpl.getService(RegistryImpl.java:151)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryImpl.startup(RegistryImpl.java:321)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryBuilder.constructRegistry(RegistryBuilder.j
ava:417)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter.constructRegistry(HiveMindFilter.
java:113)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter.initializeRegistry(HiveMindFilter
.java:87)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.servlet.HiveMindFilter.init(HiveMindFilter.java:75)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilter
Config.java:225)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFil
terConfig.java:308)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterCon
fig.java:79)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:36
98)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4349)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:8
23)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:807)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:595)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean.invoke(BaseModelMBean.java:503)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.RawDynamicInvoker.invoke(RawDynamicInvoker.java:150)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.init(StandardContext.java:5441)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean.invoke(BaseModelMBean.java:503)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.RawDynamicInvoker.invoke(RawDynamicInvoker.java:150)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
        at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.TomcatDeployer.performDeployInternal(TomcatDeployer
.java:289)
        at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.TomcatDeployer.performDeploy(TomcatDeployer.java:92
)
        at
org.jboss.web.AbstractWebDeployer.start(AbstractWebDeployer.java:374)
        at org.jboss.web.WebModule.startModule(WebModule.java:62)
        at org.jboss.web.WebModule.startService(WebModule.java:40)
        at
org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalStart(ServiceMBeanSupport.
java:272)
        at
org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalLifecycle(ServiceMBeanSupp
ort.java:222)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java
:144)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:24
9)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
        at
org.jboss.system.ServiceController$ServiceProxy.invoke(ServiceController.jav
a:891)
        at $Proxy0.start(Unknown Source)
        at
org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:416)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor10.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java
:144)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:24
9)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
        at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:177)
        at $Proxy28.start(Unknown Source)
        at
org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.start(AbstractWebContainer.java:360)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:964)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:775)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:738)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor48.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java
:144)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
        at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java
:122)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
        at
org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOpe
rationInterceptor.java:131)
        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:24
9)
        at
org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:642)
        at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:177)
        at $Proxy8.deploy(Unknown Source)
        at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymentScanne
r.java:305)
        at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentScanner.
java:481)
        at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.doScan(
AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:204)
        at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner.startService(Abstract
DeploymentScanner.java:277)
[...]
        at $Proxy4.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.jboss.deployment.SARDeployer.start(SARDeployer.java:261)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:964)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:775)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:738)
        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:722)
        at
)
[...]
        at $Proxy5.deploy(Unknown Source)
        at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.doStart(ServerImpl.java:413)
        at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.start(ServerImpl.java:310)
        at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:162)
        at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:423)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: org.apache.hivemind.ApplicationRuntimeException: Unable to create
class $SingletonProxy_102cb7eb615_0: javassist.ClassPool.write(
Ljava/lang/String;)[B
        at
org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.CtClassSource.createClass(CtClassSource.jav
a:83)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.ClassFabImpl.createClass(ClassFabImpl.java:
170)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.createSingletonP
roxyClass(SingletonServiceModel.java:171)
        at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.createSingletonP
roxy(SingletonServiceModel.java:89)
        ... 128 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
javassist.ClassPool.write(Ljava/lang/String;)[B
        at
org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.CtClassSource.createClass(CtClassSource.jav
a:71)
        ... 131 more

Re: ApplicationRuntimeException when constructing HiveMind registry in JBoss

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Jens X Augustsson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I cannot deploy my HiveMind 1.0 WAR application in clean JBoss 4.0.1
>installation. It runs nicely in Tomcat 5.0.x standalone containers, but when
>deploying the same WAR file in JBoss the HiveMind registry cannot be
>constructed. I'm building the registry using the servlet filer. I assume it
>has something to do with Javassist, and have also tried supplying
>javassist-2- 6.jar in the WAR, but it did not help. All my supporting
>libraries are in the WAR file.
>
>Has anyone had to do any special tweaking to make it work in JBoss? My
>stacktrace is supplied below.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jens

Very interesting! I have a user which expiriences problems under JBoss
too - can't remember which version - but I'll check, and check the
stacktraces closer. See my posting to the developer list with a subject
of: "Problems with JBoss Unified Class Loading?" posted yesterday!

RE: ApplicationRuntimeException when constructing HiveMind registry in JBoss

Posted by Jens X Augustsson <je...@lbsoft.se>.
Thanks everybody,

My solution was to simply remove the jboss-aop.deployer (containg Javassist
3.0) from the JBoss 4.0.1 default deploy folder.

To me somewhat surprising it did not solve my problems to simply isolate my
WAR using the flags Brito kindly told me about. It simpy caused more
problems finding other classes and resources.

To have a less complex WAR to work with (my own contains lots of
Struts/Hibernate stuff) I created a simple HiveMindHelloWorldServlet ANT
project, would that app be meaningful at the Wiki or would it just overlap
and confuse others?

regards,
Jens

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Looks like conflicting versions of Javassist.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:20:39 -0300, Marcus Brito <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hivemind is probably using a version of javassist that comes bundled
> with JBoss, instead of the version deployed with your web application.
> I can't bash the awful classloader implementation in JBoss bad
> enough... UnifiedClassloader3, anyone?
>
> Anyways, there's a way out: you need to isolate your web applications
> from the classloader hell. First, locate the tomcat service in your
> jboss instalation, and open the META-INF/jboss-service.xml inside the
> tomcat service folder. Now change the following attributes in this
> file:
>
> Java2ClassLoadingCompliance: false
> UseJBossWebLoader: false
>
> You *may* leave the first attribute as 'true'. It's concerned about
> how tomcat should deal with the conflicting classloading
> specifications: Java2 mandates that all classloaders delegates to it's
> parent before trying to locate the class, while the Servlet
> specification says that containers should try to locate classes
> *before* delegating to the parent classloader. The default, true,
> means that the tomcat will follow the Java2 specification. Setting
> this to 'false' will make tomcat follow the servlet specification.
>
> The second attribute is your heaven: set this to false to tell the
> tomcat service inside jboss to forget about the hellish JBoss
> classloader. Now you can live happily everafter.
>
> -- Marcus Brito

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: ApplicationRuntimeException when constructing HiveMind registry in JBoss

Posted by Giorgio Gallo <gi...@overlord.it>.
FYI

There's a very similar report on JIRA: it is filed as HIVEMIND-94

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMIND-94

cheers,
	Giorgio

Posted by Dave Smith <di...@gmail.com>.