Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joseph Morgan <jo...@ignitesales.com> on 2011/04/11 14:31:11 UTC

Tomcat 7 Startup Problems

We have a newly installed Tomcat 7 64bit in Windows 7 (quad-core w/8gb
ram, 322GB free disk space)

We copied the msvcr71.dll into the bin directory, and have Java
1.6.0_23-b05 64 bit.

Tomcat doesn't start, and all we get from it is:

Service 'tomcat7' is missing the ImageFile

None of the normal Tomcat logs are written even with debug set on, so
it's clear the basics of Tomcat can't seem to get going...

Any ideas are appreciated.

Joe

Re: Tomcat 7 Startup Problems

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Long explanation:

1) the Windows installer, for some unfathomable reason, does not contain all the files.
The 64-bit zip file does.

2) a standard java JVM does not have the "plumbing" to run well as a Windows Service (for
example, it does not react to Windows Service Events).  That's why some smart people
created a "service wrapper" which does have such plumbing, and this wrapper in turn will
run the JVM which runs tomcat.  This wrapper is what you get as "tomcat7.exe".

3) this wrapper takes its parameters from the Windows registry (for example, which JVM to
run).  Another Windows program, distributed as "tomcat7w.exe", is the GUI editor which
allows to view/modify these parameters.

Normally, all this should be set up properly by the tomcat exe installer.  But it looks
like in your case, something did not happen correctly.
Under Windows 7, it may be because you did not get rid of UAC, or did not run the
installer "as an administrator", or who knows what else.

Posted by Joseph Morgan <jo...@ignitesales.com>.
> You would better to uninstall it and then reinstall (and now be sure
> to run the installer with "run as administrator").

After Andre's suggestion that we may not have properly installed as
administrator, this is exactly what we just did... and I did notice the
new version and downloaded 7.0.12.. and evidently we did not "Run as
Administrator" when we installed.... things are working just fine
now....

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/11 Joseph Morgan <jo...@ignitesales.com>:
> Yep.. the entirety of the Java parameters was blank....

I understand that as the service was not actually installed, i.e.
nothing was written into the registry.

You would better to uninstall it and then reinstall (and now be sure
to run the installer with "run as administrator").

Though if you want to install it manually, there is "service.bat" in
the zip package.

BTW, the exe installer prints the commands that were used to install
the service into one of log files. Those can also be used to reinstall
it.

> apache-tomcat-7.0.8.exe

Why not 7.0.12? :/

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Joseph Morgan wrote:
> Yep.. the entirety of the Java parameters was blank....
>
> If I run from the command line:
>

> Tomcat7
>
> I get "Service 'tomcat7' is missing the ImageFile
>
> If I run:
>
> Tomcat7 //RS/Tomcat7
>
> I get two lines of output, but still no Tomcat. They both start with the date, then:
>
> Commons daemon procrun stdout initialized
> Commons daemon procrun stderr initialized
>
> And... I don't see logs anywhere...

The location of these logs, as I recall, is also in a tab in tomcat7w.exe.

As a quick-and-dirty fix, you could download the zip, expand it into your tomcat
directories (should be ok, will just add new files), and then run the "service.bat" script
from the command-line to install your service properly. (You may have to de-install the
service first, I don't remember).

To do it cleanly, it may be better to de-install tomcat, and re-install it, making sure
that you do not have permission problems.  The Windows 7 UAC is a p.i.t.a.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Joseph Morgan <jo...@ignitesales.com>.
We downloaded and installed apache-tomcat-7.0.8.exe install for Windows from the Apache site, and installed as we normally do, from the EXE, and, as you presume, as a service.

We normally start it via the Tomcat monitor, but of course that isn't working.  So, from the command line in the "bin" directory, we are running, simply, "tomcat7.exe".... and it is from that we see the message.  Now that I take a closer look at the bin dir... there isn't a "startup.bat".

> We have a newly installed Tomcat 7 64bit in Windows 7 (quad-core w/8gb
> ram, 322GB free disk space)

 From where did you download / install it ?
How did you install it ?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Joseph Morgan wrote:
> We have a newly installed Tomcat 7 64bit in Windows 7 (quad-core w/8gb
> ram, 322GB free disk space)

 From where did you download / install it ?
How did you install it ?